Lights for snapper season

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Re: Lights for snapper season

Post by Tipsta »

HaTTerS wrote:
vikodin wrote:I reckon that's where I borrowed a few of my ideas from although thats a lot more sufisticated.
That's ok, because I like the way you spaced the wrapping out on yours and made the viewable surface area ten times bigger. I'm borrowing (read stealing) that off you :thumbsup:
vikodin wrote:I would love to see a group of us who have these lights on the water at night at the same time, would be like the sun came up again!
I'd love a photo of that!
Id be in that if my lighting is up to scratch :P
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

Tickers wrote:
vikodin wrote:Just a warning about putting LED lights in front of you on the deck, this usually blinds you from seeing anything, in my experience you would want them behind and slightly above you.
Thanks HOPEFULLY this is not an issue, I was going to mount the ones on the deck under the black mounting brackets on either side of the PA. This will mean the light is not direct just reflected light and if too bright i can remove some of the lights to tone it down a little.
Warning noted tho, you may be entitled to an i told you so soon :lol:
Here is the install of the waterproof deck lights on my PA.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10361

It's a good lighting solution and saves you from having to mount a light on your head. Bright enough to tie leaders and dig around in the tackle hatch.

I have no issue with blinding light, not unless I stare directly at the odd one light that is exposed out from the left mounting board.

Munroe
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Nice job and the lights under the side boards look like they wont hinder your vision (blind) you at all. :thumbsup:
Tickers
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by Tickers »

Munroe wrote:
vikodin wrote:Just a warning about putting LED lights in front of you on the deck, this usually blinds you from seeing anything, in my experience you would want them behind and slightly above you.
Here is the install of the waterproof deck lights on my PA.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10361

It's a good lighting solution and saves you from having to mount a light on your head. Bright enough to tie leaders and dig around in the tackle hatch.

I have no issue with blinding light, not unless I stare directly at the odd one light that is exposed out from the left mounting board.

Munroe
Thanks Munroe, I finished the install of the lights a couple of weeks ago. I did use your idea of running the wiring through the top screw hole of the rod holder :clap: Very nice!
I had this picture from off my phone I took thought i would try and add it in hope quality isnt too bad
Kayaklights.jpg
Kayaklights.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
This in the shed without any other light.

Cheers
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker ~
Ron Burgundy
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Very nice setup Tickers! :clap:

One question though, do you still have a light up high to be seen by boats?
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Tickers
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by Tickers »

Widsa wrote:Very nice setup Tickers! :clap:

One question though, do you still have a light up high to be seen by boats?
Thanks widsa. Yeah mate I have Hobie light/flag that mounts behind the seat if you know the one.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker ~
Ron Burgundy
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Nice! You are all pimped out then.
Do love the deck lights.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

Tickers wrote:
Thanks Munroe, I finished the install of the lights a couple of weeks ago. I did use your idea of running the wiring through the top screw hole of the rod holder :clap: Very nice!
I had this picture from off my phone I took thought i would try and add it in hope quality isnt too bad
Kayaklights.jpg
This in the shed without any other light.

Cheers
Mate , it looks good on the water and most of all its so effective . Well done :thumbsup:

I would be getting another length and wrapping it around a pole rather than relying on the Hobie light/flag .
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
FISHPEDDLER
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback Fisherman

Post by FISHPEDDLER »

I've got a cheap low tech option that serves the purpose. It has 360 degrees cover and cost me about $10 to put together with the cut out top of a plastic coke bottle to make the whole setup waterprood, gaffer tape, some old pipe, cable ties and 3 X led lights off Ebay (they were only just over $3 each). I have them positioned behind me to reduce blinding and they give off a very strong light and can be seen by other boats really well. The photos should tell the story a bit better. Cheers Paul
Attachments
IMAG0005 (Small).JPG
IMAG0006 (Small).JPG
IMAG0001 (Small).JPG
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Clever.....
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439