Stingrays

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: Stingrays

Post by Widsa »

:shock:
Pete I bet you puckered up mate, those little buggers are nasty!

Good topic to bring up Chris.

One tip also on the subject.
Whenever I am snorkeling into very shallow water, I tap my sling/ spear onto the sand in front of me when swimming.
Rays are very hard to see, and if they are hiding in the sand a gentle tap on the sand anywhere near them will send them running away from you.
I reckon I have saved getting hit from some biggins by using this technique.

I have seen rays around as big as car bonnets some at least 6 foot across.
Wouldn't like to feel their sting I tell ya!
But they are nice to watch swimming.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

widsa wrote:I have seen rays around as big as car bonnets some at least 6 foot across.
widsa wrote:Wouldn't like to feel their sting I tell ya!
Hmmm maybe feeding the big rays down here at Torquay with left over pilchards is not a good idea after reading all this :shock: :shock:

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

As a youngin jumping off frankston pier, i would see guys taking rides on the back of big rays. Never saw anyone get stung, they didnt seem to mind! But i guess it only takes one to get annoyed and your in for it. I was never keen to tempt fate. Maybe hobie should look into ray drive.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Walking along beach at Venus Bay over Easter somebody had
caught one and decided to leave it above high tide line so the poor
thing was dead by the time i saw it we need to be wary of them
not killing them. :x :x Jim
gummyshark
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: o k p 13 flame

Post by gummyshark »

good post chris, great info thanks
gummyshark/ norm ;)
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Ochhhhh got a small nick across the leg last night when out in the shallows with the light, didn't see it and stepped on it's head. Only a (lucky) tiny nick but S#!^ it stung, went to the pub across the road and washed it out with hot water which gave almost instant (tempory) relief until I got home, washed it out big time and still very swore this morning.

Love diving with them, they are so graceful and a wonderful creature to interact with, but I am always very mindful not to get above them or to approach to close, let them come to me if they wish.

Unless you have a use for them (eat/bait) then I am totally opposed to de-barbing (cutting tails off) or killing them.

Recon a large one could drive a barb through a plastic hull if brought in close enough ;) , may create a small leak. If caught safer for you and better for them if you just cut the line.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Ouch eddy,

Luckily I havent had the pleasure of getting stung yet.(had a few close calls)

They are awesome to watch swimming, and It saddens me when I see them with their tails cut off!
Must be a common practice eddy?
I have seen a fair few without tails, mongrels whoever does that in my books.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

i once saw a bloke catch one off of morington pier it wasnt a huge one maybe 2 or 3 feet across. he bought it up onto the jetty, took his hook out, re baited, cast his line out and left the bloody thing lying there on the jetty to die. all the while people were walking past and small kids aswell. easliy could have stung one of them. i almost went over and gave him a sprayin but was strongly advised not to lol.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Tail cutting, I think is still a nasty wide used practice, guess it is better than the other option (death). Some fisherman think them selves hero's as they haul them up on the pier but with no use for them and a genuine want to put them back, but when the tail strikes at them they are not so big a "legend" hence the tail being removed or as others do, remove the barb by cutting it off. Guess it is better than suffocation from being left alive on the pier or being stabbed and thrown back but still unacceptable. All these practices are illegal and if you are worried about conflict from someone doing wrong, then walk down the pier out of earshot and ring Parks, a ranger will come down and charge the offender (if proved) under the cruelty to animals legislation. The other thing you can do is ask the fisherman if they are going to use it, if they say no, then ask if they object to you returning it. If they say no then use a towel or rag, with shoes on, place a foot on the tip of the tail to immobilize it, place the towel over the tail near the tip and take a hold being careful not to grab the barb and keep your hand clear of the barb. You can then drag it to the edge where it can be released. Sting rays do not shoot the barb out, they strike with the tail and barb similar to a scorpion, once the tail is immobilized and as long as you stay clear of the barb, you are safe to handle them.

At the end of the day, the safest and easiest way to deal with stingrays is to :shock: cut your line as close and as safely possible, for some, :evil: this is not an option, for the smart ones :mrgreen: it's no big :roll: deal.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

heronfish
The force is strong in this one
kayak: mad river canoe-synergy 12

Post by heronfish »

i love stingrays and around my local peir where i go spearfishing and snorkelling i see at leat 30 small ones and there 2 residen big ones the are massive. but i love them and i swim down and when i get the chance to touch them. i am careful to make sure i never swim ovver the tail part but thay are amazing creatures to swim with.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

pbs:
salmon-4.1kg - beaumaris
kingfish-4.3kg westernport
dusky flathead 84cm-beaumaris
sand flathead 63cm-1.6kg-mallacoota
pike 97cm-ricketts point
snapper 68cm-ricketts point
squid-1.8kg-olivers hill