Leeboard's

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Leeboard's

Post by GoneFishn »

Well this is an idea for a leeboard setup for the Prowler. Still trying to work out a connection to the deck with as little mucking around as possible and still be able to get into the hatch.

Comments.....
Attachments
SNC00032 (Medium).jpg
SNC00031 (Medium).jpg
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Leeboard's

Post by ELM »

Though they are not really the right shape, etc, :evilgrin: :evilgrin: INGENIOUS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I liked the idea of putting two leeboards on the AI, as I never really liked the centreboard concept that they have, specially around the shallow beaches along this side of the bay.

Couple of sites/links, I have in my bookmarks when I was considering making some;
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/art ... /index.htm
http://www.leeboards.com/education-leeboards.html

Twi ideas I had,
(1) I thought of buying a large (cheap) model aircraft plan for the wings only, for the "lift" design, rather than the thin plastic/paper cover, I planned to fiberglass the frame and a strong swivel bush instead.
or
(2) Buy an outboard (stabiliser) hydrofoil, some come in two pieces, others are one piece (so you would have to cut it in half), though I did wonder if these would be large enough.

Anyway, interested to here how it goes, good luck :thumbsup:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Neat idea Kelly. I like the way you attached the cutown paddle using the PVC t-piece.

Check this link http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/communi ... f=7&t=2992. The leeboard setup is different (I think this is the way I am going to go) , but I noticed in the 4th and 6th photos that they have set up an attachment point behind the seat (maybe for the paddle during a self rescue???) using a single bolt/rivet and a strip of velcro on either side. That might be good enough to hold your leeboard crossbar in place.

Detent pins might be the go for connecting the leeboard to the crossbar. Drill a hole where the crossbar goes into the T piece and stick in a detent pin (cotter pin or the like). Remove the pins and the unit can be broken down into hatch-storable sized pieces.

Cheers
sue
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

there is a lee board design i found a while ago the was designed to both give lift upwards and against the force of the sail. Much in the same way Elm has said about the wing design. I just need to find it again
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Sue thanks for that link, now I think I may give that a go first. Love the simplicity of it.
The only issue I have is that the leeboard wont be anywhere near the COE (center of effort)due to my sail being placed as far forward as possible.
swit

Post by swit »

The simplicity is what appealed to me...bit of board, bit of rope, bit of gravity...love it.

As to it being near the COE...you could place it where your current setup is. Just put two in place, rather than one, the only issue then would be to raise and lower them from the cockpit. The 3 rope setup allows them to kick back (or forward) if they hit an obstruction, so there is some degree of swing or pivot in the setup. This should enable them to be swung backwards just far enough to clear the water. I was thinking of attaching a rope to the trailing edge of each board, above the water line, and positioning a padeye or two, maybe a pulley, to give the pull angle required to hoist the board clear of the water. This way, you can raise and lower each one as required. This is all drawing board stuff of course, haven't tested it at all...but it sounds good in theory!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

swit wrote:The simplicity is what appealed to me...bit of board, bit of rope, bit of gravity...love it.

As to it being near the COE...you could place it where your current setup is. Just put two in place, rather than one, the only issue then would be to raise and lower them from the cockpit. The 3 rope setup allows them to kick back (or forward) if they hit an obstruction, so there is some degree of swing or pivot in the setup. This should enable them to be swung backwards just far enough to clear the water. I was thinking of attaching a rope to the trailing edge of each board, above the water line, and positioning a padeye or two, maybe a pulley, to give the pull angle required to hoist the board clear of the water. This way, you can raise and lower each one as required. This is all drawing board stuff of course, haven't tested it at all...but it sounds good in theory!
Just had a play in the shed and I think I can make it work, with the throw leeboard (one each side)
I'll try with some marine/outdoor ply and add some lead to the bottom (drill hole get sinker and big hammer and flatten sinker into hole :idea: )
With my setup I get good cross wind with minimal side slip so hopefully with the natural toe in due to the shape of the hull where the board will lay there wont be a huge amount of pressure on the board. Fingers crossed :up:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Found these, windsurfer centerboard fitted on a Hobie. If I had flush mounts up front they would be a great idea :up:
swit

Post by swit »

Love that windsurfer centreboard. All nice and aerofoil shaped and a neat attachment to boot.
Good luck with the throw over test. Re: adding lead weight to the boards without having to cast the lead or hammer it...epoxy and bird shot...see here http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.p ... age-2.html. Yes, I have too much time on my hands :-)
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »