2021 Compass

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
KrakenAssassin
kayak: Compass

2021 Compass

Post by KrakenAssassin »

Hi Gents,

Purchased the compass just before Christmas. First time kayaker, and have been out on 3 little trips. First two outings in Cambell’s Cove and yesterday at Mount Martha. Very happy with stability, only seated. Performed quite well in a bit of chop, although I’m already considering turbo fins?? I find the bow difficult to utilise, being 179cm tall, it’s a little far to reach. Stern area is a little better but also awkward. Have a rectangular hatch and some pockets which are great. Probably should have purchased an inflatable Pfd instead of the conventional if only for comfort reasons?? Overall I’m very happy with my purchase, love the advantage of being able to launch off the beach, being stealthy, excersise, adventure and so far have managed to make it back with a small feed on each occasion. Having said that, my donut session is now imminent 😁
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: 2021 Compass

Post by maverick »

Congratulations Leonardo. Turbo fins absolutely, makes a huge difference. I can stand in mine on a good day, but hardly a necessity. I just have a couple of dry bags stuffed up the front. I made a little cover for the front, deflects the waves and adds storage. Normal PFD (not inflatable) is safer imho - you instantly float if you fall over. I also have my marine radio in a pocket, a spare torch in a pocket and a PLB on the sleeve. I try and take the minimum gear on the Compass. Generally don't even take the esky now, just a Hobie catch bag which fits perfectly in the back. Carries more and is a lower profile, so it catches less wind.
Last edited by maverick on 17 Jan 2023, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
KrakenAssassin

Post by KrakenAssassin »

Cheers Maverick,

Agree with your point of view regarding the Pfd considering I’m a beginner. I have the small catch bag which I thought was designed to fit perfectly in the cargo bay in the bow on a compass?? Do you carry a bilge pump on board?
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Post by bruyaka »

Congrats on the purchase :up: . I don't have a compass but a couple of other hobies and I think most people need to kneel or shimmy up front to access bow storage . In time it becomes more comfortable to do so .
I started with a non inflatable pfd but have had an inflatable for the last 10 years . I manually inflate a couple of times a year and lubricate the mechanisn also . But u never know if it will work until the time comes with them :roll: . I have phone and keys in one side and a plb and rope cutter in the other . If you go inflatable do consider non auto . I forgot to disable that feature years ago and it unnecessarily went off as I stepped out of a 1/2 capsized yak in a rapid inless than 1m of water . I know if you knock your head you want floatation and this was an inconvenience more than anything .
Take care out there and enjoy
KrakenAssassin

Post by KrakenAssassin »

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. One thing I forgot to mention was that so far I’ve had to paddle back to shore and relieve myself on each adventure. Since I can’t stand in the kayak and my schlong is not long enough to swing over the side while seated, this is what I’ve been forced to do…any suggestions?
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bruyaka »

KrakenAssassin wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 20:11 Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. One thing I forgot to mention was that so far I’ve had to paddle back to shore and relieve myself on each adventure. Since I can’t stand in the kayak and my schlong is not long enough to swing over the side while seated, this is what I’ve been forced to do…any suggestions?
.I kneel and pee in the drive slot .
I have the old style wet bum seats so I don't know if thats doable with the vantage seats .
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Yep, kneel and pee in the drive well. During summer, in shorts, you can sit on th edge of the seat and wee into a small bottle, which is why you never drink from a second hand Hobie water bottle LoL.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bruyaka »

maverick wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 09:38 Yep, kneel and pee in the drive well. During summer, in shorts, you can sit on th edge of the seat and wee into a small bottle, which is why you never drink from a second hand Hobie water bottle LoL.
:lol: :lol: