Livebaiting basics Qs

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
rambocambo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Livebaiting basics Qs

Post by rambocambo »

Hi,
I'm looking to start livebaiting sometimes in the future for snapper, and possible kingies as well. I have a few basic questions.

When I'm livebaiting for snapper, i think the rig i should be using is the standard westernport running sinker rig. However, I have questions about the sinker. Should I be downsizing the sinker, or just use the same amount of sinker as I would be using for dead bait? And am I meant to be casting the fish & sinker far as I would normally do with deadbait?

With kingies, should I be using sinkers at all? I think I should try to get the livies somewhere in the middle column. Also when rigging the livies with sliding snells, where do you perosnally prefer to hook the (larger size) fish? I hear that depending on the spot the fish may swim up or down the column. :?:

Thanks in advance.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Livebaiting basics Qs

Post by Seasherpa »

Generally on the kayak livebaiting is something done on the move rather than anchored up and the rigs match. Standard mainline to leader to a livebait hook (6/0 or 7/0). This can be pinned through the nose or bridled. If using a stinger hook then another line fron the tow hook to your stinger which is placed in the back. Standard setup is trolled topwater but if you want to fish down deeper you can use a downrigger or a sinker attached to the mainline via an elastic band. This can then be snapped off when landing a fish to allow you to reel in your leader. In terms of distance from the kayak usually running two lines you would keep one in closer to the yak and one out further to allow for easier turning withouth the lines tangling.
As far a doing it anchored up in Western Port, can't say I've tried it but maybe Shane or Lobo has.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Livebaiting basics Qs

Post by shane »

I've live baited successfully for snapper and the westernport rig will work OK. My preference is to use linking swivels that let the bait swim around the mainline dropper on a paternoster. But most rigs will do as long as the live bait is down near the bottom or at least where the snapper can find it.

For Kings/Tuna/pelagics the rig is a bit different depending on the depth you're fishing. I ususally run one live bait at the surface and one down deeper. The surface bait is just hook on leader with the bait hooked through the nose or preferably bridled on a rubber band or string. It's also better to have a 2 hook rig with one hook through the nose and one back behind the dorsal. With squid you hook one through the tip of the hood and the second lightly at the head.

For a deeper bait you can use a downrigger, a westernport rig or just put a sinker on a rubber band attached to the mainline. The weight depends on the depth you want but typically a 3lb downrigger bomb or sinkers 4-8oz. You will typically be trolling slowly for pelagics (2-3km/hr) so the wight will need to be enough to keep the bait in the target zone.
0408 565 763