At the other end of progress

Completely off topic!
Yak Hooks Global
kayak: Wildy Thresher

At the other end of progress

Post by Yak Hooks Global »

I had a quick wander around the Outtrim Cemetery....exploring a but of some new turf after becoming a Gippslander. I didn't know it, but Outtrim (just out of Korumburra) used to house a thriving coal mining town. The mine closed and the town mostly died out after a bushfire. A small cricket ground and cemetery remain. Apparently the cemetery holds around 300 graves, but only a dozen or so are left after bushfire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xe5yj1vaprMxs8qV8
Last edited by Yak Hooks Global on 26 Apr 2022, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: At the other end of progress

Post by happyas »

Hi Robie. I am just reading a book called "Colourful Tales of OLD GIPPSLAND", by John Wells. Last published in 1990 by Landmark Press, 2-4 Calway Street, Drouin, 3818, Victoria. Printed by Globe Press Pty Ltd Melbourne. I found it very interesting and it gave me a whole different perspective on the history of Gippsland, from Dandenong and Cranbourne out. E.G. Too-Roo-Dun was a mythical Indiginous man eating monster that lived in the Tooradin area and obviously where the name originated. Many places changed names and many of them are not around any more. Gold was discovered and mined as well as coal. Railway lines went in several directions. Timber of course was a big industry. Two steam engines were shipped into and offloaded at Sale. Outrim has a chapter devoted to it and was a place where coal was discovered. There is a photo of early Outrim. If a copy can be obtained, (library), it is an interesting read.
Yak Hooks Global
kayak: Wildy Thresher

Post by Yak Hooks Global »

Hi ya happyas,

I like the odd bit of local history I can explore with feet on the ground, so I'll have a gander. Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Is there anything about the train to Korumburra with the deceased bloke (Eastman from memory) found on the roof? I like the crime/mystery side of things as well.

Cheers for that.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

There is a lot about trains and one or two deaths involved but I don't recall that incident. One story about a steam engine that derailed into a river and was salvaged and rebuilt. The Dandenong to Tooradin section of the rail system was opened on the first of October 1888. The book also mentions escaped convicts from the abandoned Corinella settlement helping Paul Strzlecki back to Tooradin after he became lost in the wilderness. There is even some mention of canabalism in the area near Hazelwood. All anecdotal of course. It is an interesting read.