FORUM UPGRADES

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

FORUM UPGRADES

Post by Widsa »

Hi Members,

It is time to upgrade our Forum.
There is a major upgrade I want to carry out and it may cause some interruptions.
The site may go down for some time during this upgrade so:
PLEASE ENSURE IF YOU ARE TYPING A LONG POST THAT YOU DO IT IN WORD OR ANOTHER DOCUMENT AND COPY/PASTE.
If you do this at least if the post goes missing or you get errors, you wont lose your post and can paste it in at a later date.

Apologies in advance for all interruptions I will try to get us back up and running the latest Forum software ASAP.
It should work a lot better for most and it should be more compatible with Mobile devices.
Fingers crossed I don't screw it and can get it done without too much damage!
Worst case I can always revert back to where we were at through a backup which I will take before tinkering.

Cheers,
Widsa.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Widsa
Site Admin

Re: FORUM UPGRADES

Post by Widsa »

Update:
So far so good, please let me know if you see any issues?
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Seems to be working Widsa, a little bit different.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Thanks Pete.

Yeah it is a bit different at the moment.
There is more work to be done and we can choose from quite a lot of styles.
We will keep working on it.
I am not sure about the width, I think it could do with being wider across the browser when viewing from a PC?
thoughts?

On the phone it definitely looks better but I need to work out the Logo for Mobile.
Still a work in progress but at least we are running the latest version now and up to date with security and database patches.
It should run faster and there are probably new features I have not seen yet.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Wider would be better on the PC and the only thing I find different is that I can't book mark the Active Topics page. I have to keep going back to the quick link to select it. Great work Widsa and anyone else involved?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

maverick wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 19:28 Wider would be better on the PC and the only thing I find different is that I can't book mark the Active Topics page. I have to keep going back to the quick link to select it. Great work Widsa and anyone else involved?
Great work Widsa,
And for what it's worth, I'm thinking along the same lines as Pete. I would like to see the "Active Topics" as prominent as possible. That's always my first port of call each time I visit the site.
Best wishes, Paul
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah I noticed that also, I liked to have the link to "View Unread posts".
I am pretty sure we added that as custom code for the last versions we were using.
I will have to play around and get them back up the top as separate links up the top like it was before.
I will sort this and the width ASAP.
Just need some more spare time.

Anything else you would like to see or isn't working properly please let me know.