Agrojim's Pacific Angler 3.7

Show off your kayak!
agrojim
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ocean Kayak - Pacific Angler 3.7

Agrojim's Pacific Angler 3.7

Post by agrojim »

Howdy all,
Even though it's not much to look at just yet I thought I'd show off my first yak which I picked up a couple of days ago.
I've popped a couple of containers front and back, and put an extra flush mounted rod holder in. I've mounted my fish finder onto the container at the front for now but I'm not convinced I'll be happy with it there.
One bit of advice I have picked up from the forums is test your ideas out on the water before you start drilling holes!
I've also made up a few elastic cord leashes for my pocket knife, pliers, net and rods.
I don't have any real major plans for it. I just want to be able to carry enough gear to fish and camp out of my yak for a few days.
Anyway, here it is... and hopefully I'll be able to update this thread regularly with new mods and ideas as I pimp my ride.
My new ride - Seak Mako 3.9
My old ride - Ocean Kayak, Pacific Angler 3.7
4x4yak
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu poorexplorer

Re: Agrojim's Pacific Angler 3.7

Post by 4x4yak »

Looks good Jim. Like you said best to go out and try your mods .Every time i go out i see things just a bit different and change some thing .But happy now , or for now i should say.
ps . Yep i want to do some overnight camping kayaking , im tossing the idea with a few day trip down the Snowy this summer ..
c u on the water .
steve
i like dolphins but i cant eat a whole one!
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Nice looking yak Jim ,she looks like she would handle the old briney with ease

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
agrojim

Post by agrojim »

Pardon my ignorance though.... what or where is the 'old briney'?? lol :?
Can't wait till tomorrow! Finally taking the yak out for a spin. :)
Cheers,
Jim
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

To see you on the old briney, means see you on the water. Its a whole new lingo this kayak fishing caper.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Brine is a salt water mix used to cure meats, to meet you on the briny is to meet you on the salt water !

Great looking yak, luv the color. They seam to have an awful lot of on deck storage space, how do the go for in hull (slightly dryer) or for getting rods inside (not that you need such facility where you are based, just curious?).
I think those kayaks were really directed at the scuba market when they were first designed hence the big tank well in the back, do you know if that is right ?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

agrojim

Post by agrojim »

Thanks for the comments and for the explanation. lol... I'm trying to catch up on this new lingo. Still talking left and right front and back instead of the boat lingo as well... I'll get there. ;)

I like the colour too. Silly name for it though... 'Desert Camo' I don't know of too many deserts where you could use a kayak!?
Elm,
I believe they were used for diving and OK have since added rod holders and a seat and changed the name lol.
As I haven't taken it out on the water yet I can't comment on the space apart from that it looks like I'll have plenty for camping.
At the moment there are no hatches to make use of internal storage...
Although there is a nice flat section up front where plan to install one. Should fit an 8" one in there or even a rectangular one by the looks of it. Then I will have decent access to the inside for extra rods etc. I noticed BCF have quite a few hatches in different sizes and shapes the other day.

Cheers,
Jim
agrojim

Post by agrojim »

Went out for my first paddle today!!! :D
Unfortunately the wind picked right up and I got rained on but I had a blast!

I'm very happy with the stablity and speed of this yak. I have a lot of work to do on my technique but after a while I felt like I was really powering along.
I was suprised when the footwell instantly filled with about an inch of water, as soon as I put the yak in the drink.
It was a very comfortable ride though apart from wet feet and a bit of a wet backside. Now I know why people don't paddle as much during winter. lol
The water was 12 degrees according to the sounder. Not a nice day for a swim.
Eppalock is looking great. It's about 25 metres deep in the middle now and still rising.
Anyhow, now I've been out once I can't wait to do it again. This time to do some serious fishing though.
Some pics of course....
Ready to get wet. Just a bit of light gear for the maiden voyage...
Decided to load the yak on upside down on the way home. Looked better and I reckon felt better on the highway too.
Cheers,
Jim
4x4yak
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu poorexplorer

Post by 4x4yak »

both ur rides look good .I plugged the scupper holes under my ass so my bum stays dry.
Can you turn your rides upside down and float your car? Oppss naa you can only do that with a PA! hahaha
steve.
i like dolphins but i cant eat a whole one!
agrojim

Post by agrojim »

Yeah I did plug the holes under the seat which helped keep most of the water out, but I still managed to slosh a bit from the footwell. Wasn't an issue though.
I was expecting to get wetter and feel more exposed than I was.
Hard to imagine I'll ever go back to 'stinkboats' again.

After just one trip I've learned a lot about how and where I want to store my gear and set things up on my yak.
Heading out again before the weekend for a good fish.

Cheers,
Jim