Protecting sounder... Any DIY ideas?

Show off your DIY project!
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: Protecting sounder... Any DIY ideas?

Post by Anthony »

I rinse mine off with fresh water and spray some inox on the plug contacts after each trip. No signs of any corrosion in a bit over a year.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Iv noticed when I spray my sounder plugs, and also reels, with inox, they bubble a bit. I presume that's the inox reacting with the salt..
I try to leave my sounder plugged in as often as possible, no air = no corossion from what I'm lead to believe
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

choppers wrote:Iv noticed when I spray my sounder plugs, and also reels, with inox, they bubble a bit. I presume that's the inox reacting with the salt..
I try to leave my sounder plugged in as often as possible, no air = no corossion from what I'm lead to believe
Leaving it plugged in would definitely be the best method but I would still use an anti-corrosion lubricant as I doubt the plugs are 100% air/water tight. I'm just worried about someone pinching it if I happen to stop on my way so I disconnect it. I actually use the Inox MX4 Lanox which is what Inox reccomended when I emailed them about the issue. For my reels I use Inox MX5 for the bearings and the MX8 grease for the gears when I open them for a service. I haven't noticed any bubbling but I usually give everything a good wash before I spray it. My guess would be that the salt in dissolving into the Inox though.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:Iv noticed when I spray my sounder plugs, and also reels, with inox, they bubble a bit. I presume that's the inox reacting with the salt..
I think that's just the propellant coming out of solution, I've noticed the same thing. WD40 does it too.

I doubt salt would react in a way that would cause bubbles without using some pretty nasty (read: fun) chemicals
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Thanks for the insight ian :thumbsup:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:Thanks for the insight ian :thumbsup:
to be fair I could be completely wrong, it's a long long time since I studied any chemistry
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Thanks for advice guys.

Seems like some inox and a freshwater rinse is all I really need to keep it going. Thx!
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Just as I hook up my sounder etc..

Does anyone see any issues I may run into if I mount my transducer on this swing arm like so?

Also the overall setup.
Attachments
The screw in attachment which allows the swing arm to move back in case it gets hit by something.
The screw in attachment which allows the swing arm to move back in case it gets hit by something.
The swing arm attached to the console
The swing arm attached to the console
Note wired is tucked into pvc to protect it. I may lower the pvc so it can protect the transducer also. Will be attached with a few screws and a metal plate
Note wired is tucked into pvc to protect it. I may lower the pvc so it can protect the transducer also. Will be attached with a few screws and a metal plate
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

maverick wrote:This is what you need:

https://www.berleypro.com/product-category/visors/
Hamish baught me one of these, i definitely recommend them :up: makes seeing the screen alot easier