DIY Help

Show off your DIY project!
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

DIY Help

Post by agelow »

Hi guys,

Just got my new kayak! Very happy with it. Excited mostly of the mods that i have seen.

Just wondering if anyone lives near Glen Waverley, and wouldnt mind me having a look at their kayak and mods?

I am a bit cautious to drill etc without asking help first.

Things to add:

Crate, rod holders, anchor trolley etc. This thing is completely standard!! No mods at all!

Please PM me if you can.

Cheers,

A
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: DIY Help

Post by choppers »

Hey mate what yak did u get?
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

G'day Adrian,
As hard as it is, I'd definitely wait until you have had a few paddles (or pedals) on it and felt out what will work well where. Because what might seam like a good spot for rod holders ect in the garage might not be a great spot once your on the water.
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Somewhere 'Offshore' wrote:G'day Adrian,
As hard as it is, I'd definitely wait until you have had a few paddles (or pedals) on it and felt out what will work well where. Because what might seam like a good spot for rod holders ect in the garage might not be a great spot once your on the water.
X2, i noticed after my first couple of trips my paddle stroke entered the water further fawards than on my first trip, i was impatient with putting in rod holders so now i cant quiet get a full paddle stroke in when trawling (did i spell the right one?) lures
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Trolling mate lol.. Fishing trawlers trawl that's best way to remember it.
And good advise to learn where things will get in the way, take time before cutting!
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tim399 wrote: i noticed after my first couple of trips my paddle stroke entered the water further fawards than on my first trip, i was impatient with putting in rod holders so now i cant quiet get a full paddle stroke in when trawling (did i spell the right one?) lures
I get around this by having multiple mounts and just shift the holder to the forward ones when i want to paddle with a full strong, and them move to closer ones when soaking baits or just slow trolling. railblazas are particularly good for this as the mounts aren't bulky and you can relocate without removing rod or having to twist them around.
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Had a paddle on its maiden and yeah noticed a bit of my stroke range. Sat in the kayak in my garage for ages just thinking it out haha. Will do more paddles before i drill anything.

I will probably go for a no-drill rod holder etc setup, because i want to change it depending on freshwater/saltwater.

However, definitely going to need an anchor trolley either way.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Found a kit online..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kayak-Ca ... 7efa369e4b

Also.. any particular ADVICE on drilling? I have a drill and silicon.
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor

laneends wrote: I get around this by having multiple mounts and just shift the holder to the forward ones when i want to paddle with a full strong, and them move to closer ones when soaking baits or just slow trolling. railblazas are particularly good for this as the mounts aren't bulky and you can relocate without removing rod or having to twist them around.
I purchased a couple of extra Starports about a year & a half ago as for the same purpose. :up:

...They are still sitting in a bloody draw in the shed :roll:
The tug is the drug~

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

agelow wrote: Anyone have an opinion on this? Found a kit online..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kayak-Ca ... 7efa369e4b

Also.. any particular ADVICE on drilling? I have a drill and silicon.
With the anchor trolley, it is supplied with bolts only not split rivets so you'll need to be able to access the hull at both ends to be able to install it. Also although it says 'stainless steel' it doesn't say Grade 316 which is marine grade. As Cheater will tell you, all stainless steels are not alike. For the price I would be sceptical if it is 316.
In terms of drilling as others said go for a paddle and bring a sharpie. Mark the gunnel where your paddle stroke starts. It should be down beside your ankle. If you want a fixed rod holder mount them forward of that line otherwise check out Geartrac http://www.yakattack.us/by-product-name/geartrac/ for adjustible mounts.
When you go to drill use your pad-eyes as a guide for marking out and drilling. When you drill the first hole to install the padeye, place a bolt through to help line up the padeye to drill the second hole.
If you are installing rod holders on the gunnels, it is a good idea to but a cheap plastic chopping board from kmart. Place the base of the rod holder down on the board and trace around it. Mark out the holes and drill them out using the rodholder as a template, same as for the pad-eyes. If you then cut around the outline you have a cheap backing plate to attach under the gunnel to give the rod holder more strength.
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor

FishnDive wrote: If you are installing rod holders on the gunnels, it is a good idea to but a cheap plastic chopping board from kmart. Place the base of the rod holder down on the board and trace around it. Mark out the holes and drill them out using the rodholder as a template, same as for the pad-eyes. If you then cut around the outline you have a cheap backing plate to attach under the gunnel to give the rod holder more strength.
:thumbsup:
The tug is the drug~