New to yaks

New? Say G'Day here!
hsv2ko
kayak: seak mako

New to yaks

Post by hsv2ko »

Hi all

I have found this site whilst searching to buy myself a cheapish yak just to see if I like yaks as I am a mad land based fisherman when I have time lol. So I popped the yak cherry and got myself a cheap seak mako kayak it just happened and next thing I knew I was the new owner. I haven't seen much reviews about them which scared me. Took it out last Friday to Eppalock just to test the waters before i hit the bay as i am more of a salt water fisherman than salt.
The time on water was ok for first time I'd say as i didn't know what to expect and i was alone as a mate with a yak had work. I can honestly say first 10 min i was worried and started guessing how many times i would end up in the lake but to my surprise it was none.
If anyone can help me i have been looking to test the salt water around the Werribee area i have seen most go to Campbell's Cove but could someone give me sort of good wind to be out there as i am based in Craigieburn and wouldn't be happy if i drove all the way there to figure out what i thought would be a good wind is no way to be out in yak.

Thanks in advance and hope to share my success stories with you all whilst i learn from you guys:)
Last edited by hsv2ko on 12 Feb 2016, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: New to yaks

Post by choppers »

Welcome.
I'm not a ppb yakker but im sure you will get the info here!
Enjoy it
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

hsv2ko wrote:Hi all

I have found this site whilst searching to buy myself a cheapish yak just to see if I like yaks as I am a mad land based fisherman when I have time lol. So I popped the yak cherry and got myself a cheap scout mako kayak it just happened and next thing I knew I was the new owner. I haven't seen much reviews about them which scared me. Took it out last Friday to Eppalock just to test the waters before i hit the bay as i am more of a salt water fisherman than salt.
The time on water was ok for first time I'd say as i didn't know what to expect and i was alone as a mate with a yak had work. I can honestly say first 10 min i was worried and started guessing how many times i would end up in the lake but to my surprise it was none.
If anyone can help me i have been looking to test the salt water around the Werribee area i have seen most go to Campbell's Cove but could someone give me sort of good wind to be out there as i am based in Craigieburn and wouldn't be happy if i drove all the way there to figure out what i thought would be a good wind is no way to be out in yak.

Thanks in advance and hope to share my success stories with you all whilst i learn from you guys:)
Quick overview of weather patterns here
http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml ... el&tz=AEDT

There are others to, but this is a quick reference. If in doubt start off sticking to less than 5km (white) and then move up to 10km (yellow). Avoid onshore wind to start off with as this will bring choppier conditions than offshore, and it sounds like you only have a short yak with limited capabilities.

At Werribee you can start off in the estuary until you get a feel for it. Watch the boat traffic from the ramp
hsv2ko

Post by hsv2ko »

Thanks guys the yak is 3.7m by 81w 27kg. It was funny at Eppalock i was like a fish out of water but with the biggest grin on my face. That link is great and i wouldn't be going far from the shore at all till i can say i am completely used to the yak and have mastered getting back on it in case i do go for a swim.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

hsv2ko wrote:Thanks guys the yak is 3.7m by 81w 27kg. It was funny at Eppalock i was like a fish out of water but with the biggest grin on my face. That link is great and i wouldn't be going far from the shore at all till i can say i am completely used to the yak and have mastered getting back on it in case i do go for a swim.
Does it look like one of these??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dace-Pro-Ang ... 1958535777
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Hey mate,

So personally I'd say start at Altona, probably Millers because you can catch fish about 200m from shore, if not even closer.

That said, as soon as you can't touch the bottom it doesn't matter how far offshore you are, because if you tip or the wind gets up and it's blowing you offshore you can get in trouble. Probably not telling you anything you don't know here.

For me, I use the following sites to check wind

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

http://wind.willyweather.com.au/vic/mel ... ltona.html

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/altona1

For an example of weather to not go out in, this is the current Altona wind forecast. Not good for beginners.

Something like this wouldn't be too bad. The winds are showing steady between 5 and 6 knots. Which is pretty good for drifting for flatties, but it is blowing you away from the coast so you need to be careful. Your first outing probably wants those 5 and 6's to be below 3 and 4 (might have to wait a while for this)

The below is an example of things to be wary of. See how the bottom numbers are large at 5am 5pm, this to me means the day will have changes coming through, which can sometimes result in winds stronger than stated. You don't want to be on the water when a strong wind change comes through. One of the guys should be able to find a video that shows how quickly conditions can change on the water.

Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
hsv2ko

Post by hsv2ko »

laneends wrote:
hsv2ko wrote:Thanks guys the yak is 3.7m by 81w 27kg. It was funny at Eppalock i was like a fish out of water but with the biggest grin on my face. That link is great and i wouldn't be going far from the shore at all till i can say i am completely used to the yak and have mastered getting back on it in case i do go for a swim.
Does it look like one of these??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dace-Pro-Ang ... 1958535777

Nope not one of them I made a mistake in first post with the name had scout stuck in my head when the yak is seak mako
this is the link from anaconda.
http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/k ... BP90068533
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Should be ok for moderate bay conditions, you will acclimatize quickly and end up further out than you intened fairly quickly
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

laneends wrote:Should be ok for moderate bay conditions, you will acclimatize quickly and end up further out than you intened fairly quickly
second this

items always are further away than they appear across water, land, boats, snapper
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

hammertym wrote:
laneends wrote:Should be ok for moderate bay conditions, you will acclimatize quickly and end up further out than you intened fairly quickly
second this

items always are further away than they appear across water, land, boats, snapper tuna