Found a new addiction

New? Say G'Day here!
Richmc
Apprentice
kayak: Tamar fishing kayak

Found a new addiction

Post by Richmc »

Hi guys I'm a newbie
Me and a mate hired a few kayaks the other week. Went out at flinders was a bit scared at first but got out and tied up the anchor and was sweet. But had a bit of a problem with my anchor tying, I hadn't left enough slack in the rope so when it started to get a bit wavey instead of rolling with the waves I got pulled over Scared the living day lights out of me. But only lost a bit of tackle and some pliers. Still had a great day caught a few fish.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
So Decided to have another go next day went to blind night. We had a by more trouble getting out was very windy we set our anchor down and threw the rods out. Thought I was get heaps on ni bless but turned around to see we were being dragged into the trees it was just my line being dragged along the ground. So we decided to head back to founder try our luck again had an even better day caught a heap of reef fish not 100% sure what they were tried googling think they were a wrasse or something, got a few leather jackets 20cm plus and caught my first ever King George whitening 40cm
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
So was a great day apart from getting very sunburnt. I went straight home and started looking on gumtree to buy one.
Picked my first kayak up last night so now it begins
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Found a new addiction

Post by Digger »

Hi & welcome.

I suggest you read our safety information available on Board Index.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Welcome to the world of Kayak fishing Richard.

Sounds like you've hit been bitten by the same bug we all have.

Make sure you get familiar with weather forecasts and try to walk before you run with regards to going out in the windy weather. When you see near misses/fatalities, they are often related to weather blowing up that was predicted but people not having understood the forecast, or just put their head outside to check the weather.

Anyway welcome to the club mate! See you on the water
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Have fun and be aware of the limitations of such short kayaks, especially in windy and choppy conditions :thumbsup:
Richmc
Apprentice

Post by Richmc »

Thanks guys will read all the safety and have downloaded a heap of wether apps silly weather seems pretty good shows all winds rides moon and sun and all that so will focus on all that next time before I go.
And I don't plan on goin to far out or doin anything to crazy just get a hit of experience and have some fun fishing the shellows a bit, its good to get just that little bother put then you can from the surf or a pier.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Richmc wrote:Thanks guys will read all the safety and have downloaded a heap of wether apps silly weather seems pretty good shows all winds rides moon and sun and all that so will focus on all that next time before I go.
And I don't plan on goin to far out or doin anything to crazy just get a hit of experience and have some fun fishing the shallows a bit, its good to get just that little bother put then you can from the surf or a pier.
I'd suggest sticking with Willy Weather and BOM Meteye for weather forecasts as these tend to be pretty reliable. However they're no replacement for your eyes and ears as things can change unexpectedly. The Safety section is a must but you will also find plenty of great ideas for rigging and setting up your kayak by searching through some of the other sections like DIY, The Beast, The Gear, etc.
0408 565 763
Richmc
Apprentice

Post by Richmc »

I am going through safety now should have done that first haha but all the diy and everything is awesome I never realised how big kayak fishing is. Love being apart of it and can't wait to deck out my kayak
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Could even come along to one of the lunches if you're in the city :)
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Richmc
Apprentice

Post by Richmc »

I'm in eastern suburbs not far really. What lunches are these
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Seeing as you are eastern suburbs based, if you want to meet some of the people on here and see a few yaks set up, you should wander along to this
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22019

You don't have to join or compete and can just turn up and fish. The yaks will on the shore until 7am and then back in around 12 -1 pm. We will have a bbq lunch and a bit of a presentation so it will be a a good chance to mingle and say hello if you want.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.