Idiots
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: read this one

Post by Jenko »

I think there needs to be a serious media ad campain before & during the holidays. Maybe kayakers should have to do a safety course to own a yak, (not a license).... and install a fine for using a yak without doing one.....no point in a license, you can't license stupid.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Jenko wrote:I think there needs to be a serious media ad campain before & during the holidays..
+1
The biggest issue is not people flouting the law, but sheer ignorance of just how risky it is. After all it is still relatively new

Cant enforce anything to own a yak if its not registered to anyone in particular.

I think one of the biggest issues is the inability to reenter, even with the right gear
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

All this talk of licensing and registration etc. is totally misplaced. The Victorian Boat licence has absolutely nothing to do with safety. The first boat license I had was in Queensland at the age of 15. A one off fee of I think $25.00. I had to do not only a theory exam but also a boat handling practical assessment as well. I had to be able to put my boat alongside a jetty without hitting too hard and leave a jetty without pushing off or scraping. I had to steer a steer a compass course and complete a man overboard drill. There were other things as well but it was 40 years ago. In short I had to know how to operate my boat safely before I was allowed on the water......That license is still valid today....Those of you who have sat for a Victorian license can vouch for the fact that you don,t even need to have sat in a boat or PWC to get your license in this state let alone have any idea how to use it safely and for that you pay an annual fee. As with most of these things education is the answer not regulation.
Just my 2 cents.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

spider25160 wrote:Those of you who have sat for a Victorian license can vouch for the fact that you don,t even need to have sat in a boat or PWC to get your license in this state let alone have any idea how to use it safely and for that you pay an annual fee. As with most of these things education is the answer not regulation.
Just my 2 cents.
I have to agree - I sat for my boat licence some years back , I never had to drive , launch or do any on water activities

I also have never driven a boat since getting it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Perhaps we can come up with some demonstration videos, a booklet (pdf) and urge the ebay'ers and bcf etc to give this information to the person buying the yak.

While we can't make people read information, showing what happens when you don't have a pfd... go out in bad weather etc might actually help them...

What would also be a good idea might be a site that is a green, amber, red light system for going out.... green would be days with less than 5kts an no changes scheduled... amber might be <10 kts with small changes and red would be anything else..... someone would need to maintain it and I'm not putting my hand up, but newbies don't understand what bad weather and inexperience combine to equal.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

hammertym wrote:
What would also be a good idea might be a site that is a green, amber, red light system for going out.... green would be days with less than 5kts an no changes scheduled... amber might be <10 kts with small changes and red would be anything else..... someone would need to maintain it and I'm not putting my hand up, but newbies don't understand what bad weather and inexperience combine to equal.
The problem with this kind of legislation is that it also prevents the well prepared and well experienced from the freedom to enjoy their sport/activity.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

hammertym wrote:Perhaps we can come up with some demonstration videos, a booklet (pdf) and urge the ebay'ers and bcf etc to give this information to the person buying the yak.

While we can't make people read information, showing what happens when you don't have a pfd... go out in bad weather etc might actually help them...
They are in the business of seller kayaks not scaring buyers off. If they are happy to call a 3m kayak an "ocean" kayak.then i dont think you have a rats chance without legislation
hammertym wrote: What would also be a good idea might be a site that is a green, amber, red light system for going out.... green would be days with less than 5kts an no changes scheduled... amber might be <10 kts with small changes and red would be anything else..... someone would need to maintain it and I'm not putting my hand up, but newbies don't understand what bad weather and inexperience combine to equal.
Not as simple as that every location is different, and varies hour by hour
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

THANKS for the comments, but at the end of the day, if its not kayakers, its these new stand up paddle boards that l also see toooo far off shore with people that cant even stand up on them, this happened the same day, where would you stop licensing, boggy boards, had to rescue plenty of them when surfing.
might have to spend less time out at popular spots :thumbsup: