How to call for help

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
stooders
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

How to call for help

Post by stooders »

If anyone ever gets in strife and has a working mobile phone, call 000 at any time and you will be put through to Water Police. If you know the life saving clubs are on patrol nearby, save some time and call 13 SURF (13 7873 for the oldfashioned) and get straight through to the LSV Comms centre who will task the closest club resource. (They will also advise Water Police.)

I always take my phone out with me in a waterproof plastic case. I've got a few spare ones that MSV gave out for free at the boat show. Ask for one next time you see me. ;) ;) I've only met about 10 of you and you probably don't remember what I look like anyway :D

FYI, life savers patrol on weekends and public holidays from the last Saturday in November, until Easter Monday. Patrol times vary from club to club but LSV Comms is operational 24/7 and they will know who is available. Let's hope it never comes to that.

If you have a VHF radio, why not log your trip with Coast Guard? You can call them up on channel 16 or the local VHF repeater, tell them your plans and then call them back when you come off the water. If you don't call by the nominated time, they'll call you for a welfare check. If you do this regularly, they might suggest you pay the $50 fee to become an associate member, which gets all your vessel (yes! a kayak is a vessel) details and contact details stored in their database, so if you don't check in and they can't raise you, they can check your home, mobile and emergency contact person numbers before calling out the troops to search.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: How to call for help

Post by bilby »

Good work Stooders, with snapper season just around the corner, the amount of boat traffic will triple in the course of 1 week when they are "on". We can't be too complacent about safety and remember to look after our fellow yak buddies.
While on the subject, get those flags and night lights working NOW.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460