Hello everyone

New? Say G'Day here!
Inked
Apprentice
kayak: Slayer 13

Hello everyone

Post by Inked »

Hi guys,
I think it was about time I introduced myself as up until now I've been in the shadows.
I'm Robert & am yet to buy a kayak. Too many choices & don't want to make the wrong one.
I've spent countless albeit enjoyable hours on the web in forums & reading reviews, have looked at a few boats both peddle (both brands) & paddle & think to start off with I'll probably go paddle.
Most of my fishing is in the salt in PPB either from a boat or landbased with the odd trip to Flinders. Target species have been the usual that the bays have to offer but, for the last couple of years I've been hooked by the egi bug & tend to do this more than any other style of fishing. Think of all those weed beds that I could access from a yak.
I find that the smelly boat doesn't get used too often usually due to time, crowds or its location which means that I don't get to fish as often as I'd like. I hope that kayak fishing will offer new opportunities to get out on the water & look forward to being able to beach launch (no waiting and agro at ramps) & explore new areas that I haven't been able to fish before with the added bonus of exercise.
I've really enjoyed reading through the forum & have picked up a bit along the way. Keep up the good work guys & hopefully when I get my new boat (the Tarpons have caught my eye) I may even meet some of you on the water.
Cheers.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Seasherpa »

Mate I think you've just summed up why most people fish from yaks! Welcome to the forum and best of luck on the kayak hunt.
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

Welcome aboard, good luck choosing the right yak. I have got out on the yak 2or 3 times more than I ever did when I had the boat. I started with a cheap 2nd hand paddle yak to make sure I was on the right track before throwing more money into it. upgraded to the Hobie outback for a couple years. (Loved the outback) then upgraded to the Hobie pa 14. I found the mirage drive allowed me to cover more ground and would never go back. Cheers
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Welcome to VYAK Robert and good luck with the kayak search.

Also don't overlook the benefits of the pedal craft especially when chasing calamari. I enjoy doing a lot of that type of fishing and find my hobie allows me to fish for squid much more effectively than I could with a paddle. Most of the time I troll for squid working two rods at once and you can only do that with your hands free. Same goes for a few other styles of fishing and particularly when fighting fish.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Once you've been yak you never go bak.

Welcome.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Inked
Apprentice

Post by Inked »

The weekly runaround with kids sports has finally come to an end for another year & I was finally able to pick up the new yak, a Slayer 13.
Hopefully I may even be able to wet it this week.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

maverick wrote:Once you've been yak you never go bak.

Welcome.
welcome to freedom :yahoo:
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Post by Nello »

You've got yourself a nice yak there mate.
Kayak fishing is a great sport, and as said you can access some great spots where the boat would struggle. Where are you planning to fish mostly, I'm heading to Mt Martha next week for a arvo squid sesh, you're welcome to come along if you'd like.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

hello, Please report on the yak as i was keen on a native but went HOBIE
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Inked
Apprentice

Post by Inked »

Thanks for the offer Nelson & I'll take you up on it someday.
For the moment I'll probably stay local & have a go around Altona or Williamstown as it will be morning trips before work.
Happy to venture further once I get a bit of experience & I finish setting the kayak up. :thumbsup: