New life for old trailer - update 14 /3

paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

New life for old trailer - update 14 /3

Post by paddlepop »

Was out for an evening drive with a hot and bothered family last week when I saw this roadside, with a sign on it for $100…. Had the missus do a u-e, against her wishes – she reckons I’ve already got too many projects on the go and I spend too much time/money on ebay as it is!!! Couldn’t take it then and there as no $$$ on me and the tow hitch required a smaller ball. Returned the next day and the guy threw in a Hayman extended tongue with the right size ball on it for $10 – the trailer has 3 Leyland mini wheels and overall only cosmetic rust.

I’ve been meaning to do a kayak trailer for a while and have several CAD models of different configurations and designs; however, this trailer has a single 50 x 50mm drawbar which didn’t feature in my designs as I generally prefer something a bit more ‘engineered’. Beggars-cant-be-choosers so I’ll live with the constraints and make do.

First thing was to extend the base length to accommodate the 1200mm ally storage box and the ice chest. Although they both fit beautifully across the trailer and look so much better too, the problem is that unless I have the yak waaay up high, I won’t be able to access either box. Practicality wins – and with this set up I can get to both chests with the yak in situ and I’ll have room for (eventually) a rod box/tube of some sort.

I took all the existing gear off, the rollers were perished anyway, and the gal USA made winch will find its way onto fleabay..

I need to be able to secure the cool chest for transport and to stop opportunistic light-fingered types. Decided that the through holes on the side of the lid and body would make good anchor points I welded up a rod with top piece and lower larger section from a bolt that I could drill and slip a padlock through and secure the whole thing through a hole in the floor plate….

Anyhow…..heres the progress so far…all done over the w/end when I should have been out fishing….
trailer1.jpg
trailer2.jpg
trailer2.jpg (44.45 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
IMG_20140202_194554.jpg
IMG_20140202_194105.jpg
IMG_20140202_194151.jpg
IMG_20140202_194302.jpg
Last edited by paddlepop on 14 Mar 2014, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: New life for old trailer

Post by Babylon »

Looking good so far keep the updates coming :clap: :clap: Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Once you use a trailer, you'll never go back to loading onto the roof. :thumbsup:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

looks the goods, especially for only 100 smackaroos!
paddlepop
Square eyes

Post by paddlepop »

thanks for the feedback..

…the progress continues…..

Last night finished welding up the rear support arm with 4 rollers….seems to work really well - still need a central/middle hull support bar so maybe that’ll happen tonight!!

All seems to be OK, the storage box and ice chest are easily accessible with the yak on top and the front cradle really holds it firm on the trailer.

I put a piece of steel rod through the eyelet holes on the front cradle which has again given me an idea for a locking mechanism to keep the yak safe and in place.

The front bar will be altered to take a bow nose holder, and I’m not sure at this stage if the spare wheel will go back there or sit on the body….

Still have to sort out rear light board and lighting etc…… stay tuned…

rear trailer.jpg
front support.jpg
side view.jpg
front support lock.jpg
rear box open.jpg
Davo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Wavedance Echo, Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by Davo »

Looks pretty swish paddlepop.
A coat of jam once you've finished the alterations and you won't recognise it.
Cheers,
Davo.
paddlepop
Square eyes

Re: New life for old trailer - update 25/2

Post by paddlepop »

Well... getting there..almost ready to roll.
Took off the bow nudge plate and the small jockey wheel and replaced with new.

Still need to weld up a plate and lighting bar at the rear and hook the LED lights up. then paperwork to VicRoads for boat trailer registration.... maybe add a rod 'cage' or similar and somewheer to put wet gearnfor the ride home..

Paint job to come...going to mirror the prowlers colours - cos I can - form front to rear..... Red /'flame orange'/ yellow/ red / 'flame orange'
yak 194055.jpg
yak 194107.jpg
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

Looks good. One thing I'd do is put some pool noodle or rubber over the holding bars once you have finished painting or you may be visiting Ghurkin before too long. The vibration / friction may? damage your yak. Good luck :-)
paddlepop
Square eyes

Post by paddlepop »

Yeah... I've go some marine carpet -like-stuff to glue on the racks - after the paint job. :thumbsup:
placcymarauder
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback Blue, stealth evo 495

Post by placcymarauder »

Jenko wrote:Once you use a trailer, you'll never go back to loading onto the roof. :thumbsup:
Nice job paddlepop. I agree with Jenko. Used a trailer for the first time on the weekend to go down to Peterborough. Used some of Mavs ideas re fastening kayak to trailer and it works a dream. My life will never be the same :lol: So easy and i can leave some of the fittings attached to kayak as now i load right way up instead of upside down on roof racks. Much more room in the vehicle :thumbsup:
Nev

0409 766 315

4 Sale As new Shimano Fireblood 1000FA - $440.00
Never even had line on it. Make an offer.