Electrifying the OK Scrambler

Show off your kayak!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Electrifying the OK Scrambler

Post by maverick »

Decided to start a new post about attaching a leccy ob to the yak. The leccy was a christmas present, that I initialled reduced the shaft length by pulling it apart, sawing off the leg to a shorter length and then putting it back together. Had to make a quick trip to BCF to unscrew the head on their display model and check the wiring as mine didn't work after the shortening process. A couple of quick digital pics at BCF and I swapped the red and the green wires and it all worked.

I looked at a few options of mounting (including Pauls version with the poles in the rod holders) but I have decided on making a battery box and a motor mount that is held to the yak with the existing tie down straps. I can reinforce the mounting with some turnbuckles if required.
pulled apart
pulled apart
test fit with the head off to get the height right.
test fit with the head off to get the height right.
the battery box (with out motor mounting arm)
the battery box (with out motor mounting arm)
the battery in the box - test fit
the battery in the box - test fit
test fit with motor in place.
test fit with motor in place.
getting ready for the next installment.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: Electrifying the OK Scrambler

Post by Widsa »

Nice...
I will be getting a free ride in no time... :twisted:

Well done on keeping to your no holes theme..

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Nice job Pete, the only problem i see is that there is no room for the fish box, or are you trying to tell us something ?? Another one of them there leccy motors and you will "nearly" catch the Hobie boys ;)
Good work and still "no holes"
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Yep I have lost the esky, but I will fit rod holders and drink bottles to the battery box. I think I have an esky bag that will sit behind the battery box, hopefully that will work. Haven't had a huge demand for a big fish container yet :? maybe this season . :roll:
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

I just bought a set of new sharp metric drill bits, want me to come around and give you a hand Mav :twisted: Nah!!! Well done on the no holes path, would you be better off using alloy over wood for the support beam, with a battery and lecky, just thinking you may want to keep the extra weight to a minimum + wood will soak up water.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Hi Eddy, no aversion to drills, just my OK has no access to inside the hull so I can't reinforce the mounting, unless I drill some 9 inch holes and make some inspection ports
ELM wrote:would you be better off using alloy over wood for the support beam, with a battery and lecky, just thinking you may want to keep the extra weight to a minimum + wood will soak up water.
I will give the wood a run (well varnished) but if it doesn't work the ally may be a good option.