PFD for Fishing Inflatable vs non-inflatable

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

PFD for Fishing Inflatable vs non-inflatable

Post by momunny »

Hello All,

This question have been bugging me for a while... :? :?

Manual inflatable type 1 PFD or a non inflatable Version for Kayak Fishing.

My views...

PFD type 1 are in my view provides the best boyancy vs the rest however wearing a non inflatable Type 1 is very bulky, makes paddling difficult and fishing ockward and on hot summer days it you feel like jumping into the water to cool off.

The manual inflatable ones are the best for fishing and are the most comfortable. However i have two major issues...
If you are knocked unconcious eg slip on a mossy slipery ground and bump your head or the surf landing goes pear shape and you wear the kayak for a crash helmet :oops:, this negates the use of a manual inflatable type1 PFD.

Secondly, we fish , we love fishing :D :D and we need very sharp hooks.. :twisted:
What if one accidentally pierce your PFD vest and it goes un noticed, when you fire off that C02 canister, will that vest work or will we sink like a holed kayak?

For now i wear a type 2 and keep a manual inflatable one in the hull.

I would like to know what your thoughts are and your experiences/recommendations are with these inflatable PFDs.
Cheers,

Momunny
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: PFD for Fishing Inflatable vs non-inflatable

Post by Widsa »

Good points there momunny,

I have avoided the manual inflate type pfd's for the reasons you outlined.
I use a type 2 vest as I feel it will assist in a swim to shore type situation, however it may not save me if I was knocked out.

So yeah there is a dillema, I will stick with my type 2 for now as I wouldnt like to try and paddle/fish in a type 1 non inflatable.
And at least if I get knocked out, I have " some" chance with a regular type 2 vest.

Either way your not completely safe unless you have a type 1 non inflatable, or a type 1 auto inflate.
The autoinflate is interesting, apparently it takes more then a splash to set it off, but I would imagine price is the main issue with these vests.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

I've got both. Depends on the situation as to which I use. For small tidal rivers that I usually fish I wear the manual inflate, but if I'm on the bay or in open water, fast water, or there is a lot of boat traffic I wear the type 2.
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Camfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback and Pro Angler

Post by Camfish »

i have one with the canastor/manual blow
i have tken the blower valve and but a few breath's in it
not so much that it becomes bulkey and in the way
but if i was to go in i would have more time to hit the nos butten becous i would have some boyuencey
however i see my self as a strong swimmer so most times i go in the drink i dont think i would even inflate it
atlest the 2 times i've been in i havent seen a need for it
Image My Weapon of Choice
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

I have a non inflatable type 1.

I've never had a type 2 so I can't comment.

I don't find the type 1 too restrictive for fishing/paddling but it does get warm however I probably won't fish on really hot days.

Saturday at Safety beach was comfortable. My problem could be trying to wear a utility vest over the type 1 :? I also think as I have a sit in there's more chance of me being clonked on the head should I fall out especially as I think there'd be a rather large vessel involved if I leave the yak.

Tor
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

Camfish wrote:atlest the 2 times i've been in i havent seen a need for it
One time because my yak was there :roll:
Adrian
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ivory Dune Revo 11

Post by Adrian »

I have a Stormy manual inflate from the stinker. I'd probably go for a PFD2 if I didn't have one though because the only time I'd imagine needing a PFD would be when things go bad and I can't inflate it. Currently, if a freak wave hits and I go over but otherwise all's ok then I wouldn't pop the CO2 as I couldn't deflate, keep fishing and still be safe or legal. Sitting in the yak with a fully inflated yoke would be impractical but the extra bouyancy could be a big help getting back to the yak.

This thread reminds me that I need to buy a service kit to keep the PFD1 rating. Readily available for the Stormy brand but not sure about the cheapies.

Adrian
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I've got an inflatable from the stinker but i wear a stolquist pfd2 when on the yak and keep a non inflatable type 1 in the front hatch just in case (although if i need it i'm probably not going to be near the kayak) so it's more a situations turned bad better put the other one on option. I wear the stolquist over an inflatable because it's a great storage vest as well as a pfd. the extra pouches are perfect for holding a packet or two of plastics along with a spool of leader and has mounts for extra gear like my scissors and pliers.
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Post by nasman »

A lot of great ideas here which has helped me make a decision. I already have a manual PFD1 but will now also be looking at a kayak/fishing PFD2 with extra pockets, etc. Thanks all.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Adrian wrote:I have a Stormy manual inflate from the stinker. I'd probably go for a PFD2 if I didn't have one though because the only time I'd imagine needing a PFD would be when things go bad and I can't inflate it. Currently, if a freak wave hits and I go over but otherwise all's ok then I wouldn't pop the CO2 as I couldn't deflate, keep fishing and still be safe or legal. Sitting in the yak with a fully inflated yoke would be impractical but the extra bouyancy could be a big help getting back to the yak.

This thread reminds me that I need to buy a service kit to keep the PFD1 rating. Readily available for the Stormy brand but not sure about the cheapies.

Adrian
My understanding is that there must be a stamp put inside the flap, showing who serviced it and it must be by a registered servicer ??? This is what i was told by a guy at Mallacoota a few weeks ago, apparently they are starting to issue fines for out of date pfd's, even if the pfd is brand new out of a shop, the stamp must be clearly visible as to the date serviced. Another revenue raiser.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460