911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cybertrouts
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Tandem Island

Re: 911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

Post by cybertrouts »

(after ditching your waders)
spot on - remove your waders in the water before trying to re-enter your yak
Knowledge is what you get when you read the instructions.
Experience is what you get when you don't.
Kybosh
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback yellow

Post by Kybosh »

I have fallen in a fast flowing river wearing waders and had them fill with water in spite of wearing a belt. It was a real effort to get out and climb up the steep bank because of the water in the wader's legs. I have a set of shark skins now for the yak, but before I got these I thought about cutting the feet of a pair of neoprene or breathable waders. I also thought about fitting a waterproof zip to the lower leg/ankle to drain the water if they ever filled up. Could be a solution as neoprene waders are real cosy to wear.
John
Insanity is just a state of mind. Man! is my mind in a state!
Imagehttp://www.southernflyfishers.org.au/
FECKIT
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter with twin 200HP Mercs ;)

Post by FECKIT »

Must admit I was shocked when I caught a glimpse of the title of this thread with 911 in the title my mind didn't jump to emergency call centre numbers but more the fallout in the Yak community after it's revealed by the conspiracy theorists that Achmed the terrorist was actually flying a PA when the twin towers went down.
(sorry - I'll go to bed now)
Image FECKIT... Let's go fishing Image ImageImage
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

I think Julian has run out of medication :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Jim :D
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

I would really like to see "all" you guys remove your waders after being dumped in the drink, with a 20 knot wind blowing. What is going to be your first priority when your kayak is taking on water, and let me tell you, no belt is going to seal your waders, they are going to start filling while you try to right your kayak. Then while you are trying to get them off how will you stay in contact with your kayak because if your waders are around your ankles and you let go of your kayak, its gone, kiss it good bye and wave!! Ow but then you can't your still trying to get your waders off.

Which also reminds me, why are you taking "OFF" clothes that you are wearing that are supposed to be protecting you from cold wind, water, I just don't get that bit ???
Please explain!!!

You would be far safer in neoprene Long John wet-suit with some sharkskin socks and dive boots, at least any water that does enter the suit can drain out the legs allowing you to get back on a lot easier and your feet will stay dry warmer with the dry-socks.

Waders whether neoprene, rubber or cheap plastic are a trap!!!
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

Yes agreed.

I'm ditching my neoprene waders and I'm in the market for a wetsuit, including booties.

If the worst comes to the worst, you want something designed for swimming in, not something designed for wading in. It's quite possible that you won't get a second chance in an emergency situation.

Hypothermia is also a huge danger for a kayak fisherman in the drink, particularly in Victoria's winter. A wetsuit could just save your life.

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

FECKIT wrote:Achmed the terrorist was actually flying a PA when the twin towers went down
You're being silly now Feckit, there would have been substantially more damage if it was a PA.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

I got an old wet suit from my surfing days, cut across the belly and took them to a little sewing place and got them to put a zip in the front for emergency bladder release, works well and cost me $30.
You could go around to all the cash converters and find a cheap wet suit and do the same, perfect ...save some money..
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Post by twavvy »

Exactly. I couldn't believe last time the waders issue came up there were people saying "no worries- They have a belt" etc. Many people die each year due to having waders on rock fishing and surf fishing - My Dad got taken out once when trying to get those extra few metres by wading out to cast in the surf. It isn't worth it - Wearing a steamer wetsuit and booties (Well, I'm cheap and use explorer socks!) under your clothing is all you need when kayaking in winter.

Great thread :D
Trav
blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Slight off topic deviation (out of character?)

As I'm usually a fat man trapped in a thin man's wetsuit, any other paddlers get chaff grief? Or am I just not lubing up enough. And I'm talking about the shoulder region after lots o' paddling.
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/