Kayak Lighting

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Kayak Lighting

Post by cruiser »

madfishman wrote:Where did you get that reflective tape?
From Protector Alsafe down here at Nth Geelong ,about 4 bucks a meter off the roll ,its called 3m reflective sheeting
mob 0423 492 759
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

cruiser wrote:
madfishman wrote:Where did you get that reflective tape?
From Protector Alsafe down here at Nth Geelong ,about 4 bucks a meter off the roll ,its called 3m reflective sheeting
Neil you can also get reflective tape from Miter10 silver and red there is also a glow in the dark one too.
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

I have reflective tape on my rocket launchers and it's great. Yellow and red stuff. Got it from a safetly shop in Dandenong... but most safety shops would sell it.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Thanks guys this has given me some good ideas will post some photos when iv done my lighting
Ramma
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Heritage redfish 12

Post by Ramma »

cruiser wrote:G,day Kingo

I have just set up the yak with lights and gave it a trial run last friday night ,to say I lit up like a beacon would be an understatement but that was my intent all along .The light at the back is one of those cheap boat lights that has fitting where the mast can be removed topside when not in use ,this light surprized me with how bright it shone out for such a small light ,I have a on off switch inside the hull for this light .The light sitting in the pvc pipe is a 12 volt car trouble lamp which came from auto pro for about 36 bucks and its claimed to be oil and water resisant so time will tell , when not used on the yak it should be handy for camping.I used the pvc pipe because I found that lying around the shed so there is probaly better alternatives,this light has 36 leds and I kid you not rigging and tieing knots is easier than day time fishing :shock:Another bonus with this light is it can be taken out of the pvc pipe and shone in any direction ,also onboard I carry a small waterproof torch that floats face up and the obligatory head lamp ,hope this helps

cheers cruiser
Love this set up. I really need to steal a milk crate. The idea is in the "stolen" section of my brain. (I do seem to be thinking stealing a lot)
A true friend stabs you in the front