Lang lang first timer

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Campbell
Apprentice
kayak: Oasis tandem

Lang lang first timer

Post by Campbell »

Hi guys, I would really appreciate some advice before fishing lang lang. I have done most of my kayak fishing in PPB & I'm keen to get familiar with WPB to chase some gummies.

I am looking at heading there later next week, as the wind is forecast a bit lower. I will be in Oasis tandem with my 13yo son (who is a mad keen fisherman!).
I only tolerate up to 4.5 hours sitting in the yak, my plan is to launch 2 hours prior to high tide & return 2 hours after high tide.

Should I launch from the boat ramp or from the beach further down?

I gather there is a channel about 2.5km directly west from the beach. Should I head straight to that channel & anchor there, or just cruise the flats? Or at least make it to the channel before change of tide?

Thanks in advance,
Campbell
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: Lang lang first timer

Post by happyas »

Don't be late back or it will be a looong trip. Maybe arrange for another Westernport experienced yacker to accompany you on your first trip into Westernport. I am not an expert, but there are many others on here who know the bay far better than me. Maybe launch on an ebbing tide and retrieve as the tide is rising. This would give you a much much bigger safety margin. If you were late returning or wind/tidal conditions varied on a dropping tide your window is much narrower. I was almost stuck there myself a few years ago and needed help retrieving. I was only 5 minutes behind others who made it ok. People far more expert than me have been caught out and have had to sit through a tide change. The tide in Westernport drops a lot faster than Port Philip and Lang Lang is a very shallow and gentle sloping seabed. Hopefully Cheater or someone with a far better local knowledge will advise you. Good luck.
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Post by Yuz »

Hey Campbell,

I'm in a similar situation - regularly kayak fish PPB but yet to venture out WP.
I'd be tempted to pitch a tent and stay a couple of nights at the LL Caravan Park.
Have no idea about tides around that area but as Happyas suggested - perhaps tag along with someone who knows the area? I'd be interested too but we're heading into winter now...
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Hi Campbell.
If you launch from the beach that is fine, if the tide is up.
The ramp being concrete gives a bit more depth and distance, especially as the mud there sucks (literally).
You certainly don't want to get stuck in it as from personal experience may years back sunk in almost to my waste and lost a shoe in there.
Also felt like I was stepping on crabs and pushing them into the mud (okay maybe they were just rocks/stones).
If you go into the channel, the current can get quite strong, so have a good anchor and decent sinkers.
I'm not a fan of the channel and prefer sitting off it on drop offs.
If you are in the caravan park you can head out towards Jam Jerrup side, that produces quite well (about 2.5Km from the ramp).
The mud flats should get you some good gummy's, there may be a few Red's closer to JJ side.
I'd say tide wise 1.8m is your cut off launch or retrieve.
If wind is down, you should have a great time that side.
If you launch from the ramp,you can also head towards Bolton (see map).
Attachments
Lang Lang 2.JPG
John 3.16/17
Campbell
Apprentice

Post by Campbell »

Thanks guys, the advice is much appreciated. The tide concerns make WPB a bit intimidating for newcomers. I certainly don't want to sit through a tide change, which would also take me well into the night.

Sounds like the ramp is the logical place to launch. If 1.8m tide is the minimum to launch/retrieve, then next Saturday that gives about a 7 hour window at the absolute max. I am pretty conservative in my approach, so I will aim to be on land by 2 hours post high tide. I think that gives enough margin to allow for such things as a slower than expected journey back, or variability in forecasted conditions.

I realise that launching on an outgoing tide would take away the risk of getting stranded on the way back, & I assume makes for easier pedalling, but so many things have to align for me to get out on the water I am keen to make the high tide option viable as well. Also, heading out over low tide is not without risk, because if weather/conditions turn bad you still have to stay out there & manage it until the tide is suitable to return.

My fish finder does not have capability for maps (bloody Hook Reveal 5x :roll: ) but does have GPS plotting. I'll go out from ramp about 1.5km (stopping on the way to fish the flats) & look for sudden change of depth, & faster current, & try to anchor close to the drop off. Thanks for that map Yako! I probably won't stray too far south, just so I stay within reasonable distance of the launch site.

If it doesn't work out, it's not from lack of planning! I'll let you know how it goes.
If you happen to be out there, please say g'day. We're in a blue tandem yak with sidekicks.
Campbell
Apprentice

Post by Campbell »

Went to Lang lang today as planned & had a pretty successful day. We landed 2 small gummies on the flats, & then a decent size one in a small channel, in about 5m depth 1hour after high tide. One was caught on prawn & the other 2 on salmon chunks.
Launched & retrieved without incident. Got back to the ramp in plenty of time - probably could have stayed out a bit longer but wanted to be very sure that we got back before tide too low.
Nearly didn't even get there today, as my kayak loader broke as I was getting ready. Wasted an hour trying to fix it so I nearly pulled the pin on the whole expedition. Glad we persisted in the end even though we lost some fishing time. We even avoided the rain & enjoyed very calm conditions.

Thanks again to all those who offered advice to help me out with this trip!

(I just tried to attach a photo, but no luck)

Campbell.
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

Well done Campbell. It sounds as though you heeded advice and had a good day. I haven't fished there since before covid, but I think I will have to visit again soon. I haven't fished from my yak at all since covid. I guess you have read up on anchoring techniques required for faster currents, and have your yak rigged to allow this. Needed if you go back to WPB and fish deeper and faster water. Congratulations on a good safe and clean trip.
Campbell
Apprentice

Post by Campbell »

Thanks Happyas. My anchor is on 2 metres of 8mm chain, which seems pretty heavy. I was using shorter, lighter chain in PPB. I have anchor trolley and usually position rope to the stern.
I just looked up anchor techniques & realised I should review the length of my anchor line. I think I have 50m, which should be OK for up to 20m depth?. I don't know what is the max depth I am likely to encounter in the deeper channels. What length rope should I take?
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Post by bruyaka »

Well done on your 1st WPB trip . :up:
It is well worth asking questions and being cautious as a learner there . I prefer the low tide cycle my self and as you are aware it does entail a longer time on the water meaning more time exposed to changes in conditions . The strength of the wind v the direction/strength of current is a big factor and is worth watching even as experience grows . Particularily as flow resumes and will generally pass given time . The areas on the sides of the channels are more effected by this as the water depth changes create variations . The bigger the tide variation the more current .

I believe these areas are the areas to fish as you can have baits in the deep and shallows .

More so again fishing over the low as there is less water for the same number of fish . Yes the high tide cycle is a shorter session but as you realise , less room for error .
Re: anchor rope length , I use 40-50m of 4mm nylon line that I can tie and untie easily . The deepest water I have come across down LL/JJ way is 13m and have found this adequate most [ :roll: ]of the time . In the channels with full flow is the only times I have been drifting slowly with all rope out . And a by a few large critters adding to the pull .
Take care and enjoy .

PS : I use navionics on my phone and is very useful if sounder is not behaving or at home ;)
Last edited by bruyaka on 20 Jun 2023, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

What he said. All that Bruce said is correct. I have about 50 metres of light nylon rope which has never failed me. I do have slightly heavier chain on my anchor line and more of it. My length of chain is not attached to the anchor but is about 2 metres above it. I believe that this helps my anchor line lay more level on the bottom and it allows me to stow the chain before I have to handle the anchor when retrieving. Once again, congrats on your first WPB trip.