New to kayaks what winter clothing do you recommend

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Re: New to kayaks what winter clothing do you recommend

Post by pete49 »

wait until summer... less problems :evilgrin:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

spiirondow2039 wrote:The two most popular types of outer wear for anglers are the Cabelas Guide Wear and the Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH gear. As with the jacket, the most popular types are the Cabelas Guide Wear and the Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH gear. The obvious reason for good, insulated boots is to keep your feet warm and dry. Many boots have the same Gore Tex membrane as the jacket and bibs, which keeps moisture out, while allowing for evaporation of sweat. Most boots have "Thinsulate" insulation, ranging from 100- 1000+ grams. The higher the number, the warmer the boots should be. It is important to pick the right amount of insulation to keep your feet warm, without making them sweat too much.
what is this gear like to swim in -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

cheaterparts wrote:
spiirondow2039 wrote:The two most popular types of outer wear for anglers are the Cabelas Guide Wear and the Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH gear. As with the jacket, the most popular types are the Cabelas Guide Wear and the Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH gear. The obvious reason for good, insulated boots is to keep your feet warm and dry. Many boots have the same Gore Tex membrane as the jacket and bibs, which keeps moisture out, while allowing for evaporation of sweat. Most boots have "Thinsulate" insulation, ranging from 100- 1000+ grams. The higher the number, the warmer the boots should be. It is important to pick the right amount of insulation to keep your feet warm, without making them sweat too much.
Spammer Cheater, I think he wants you to start vaping :lol:
Untitled.png
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Thanks for the heads up Eoin,

Banned and deleted.

Seasherpa wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Spammer Cheater, I think he wants you to start vaping :lol:
Untitled.png
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
craka
kayak: K2F Osprey

Post by craka »

Haynsie wrote: 06 May 2019, 22:10 Hoodies, tracksuit pants and other absorbent cotton clothing are fine on a boat, but you should never wear them on your yak. If you end up in the drink they will quickly become waterlogged and heavy. And once you're back on the yak (if you can get back on) you will get very cold, very quickly.

The only thermals you should wear are those designed for immersion. Most diving, wetsuit and surf brands produce thermal rashies with a polyfleece lining that will keep you warm both in and out of the water.

I wear one of these under a shirt or waterproof jacket nearly all year around in Vic:
https://wetsuitwarehouse.com.au/product ... mal-rashie
Full range here (no affiliation) :
https://www.adrenalinwetsuits.com/2P-Th ... ducts.html

Cheers

Tim

I wasn't aware that thermal rashies were a thing. Thanks for this post, I will be investing in one of those as we head towards winter.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

craka wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 23:16
I wasn't aware that thermal rashies were a thing. Thanks for this post, I will be investing in one of those as we head towards winter.
Pretty common for the Vic guys to use thermals over winter and the adrenalin brand is pretty good value for money - I myself use Adrenalin thermal pants under a set of kayak dry pants and a long sleeve thermal top under a dry jacket ( Cage ) without much need to layer up any more than that and trust me winter fishing down here in Vic can be on the chilly side

you will find that most sea kayak shops will carry this gear so no doubt there will be places fairly local for you --- hope that is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Some great advice there Gary, from some very experienced yakkers.

Personally, I would start with a long sleeved rash vest, followed by a full set of Adrenaline thermals. On top of that I wear a long sleeved Adrenalin Thermo X Skin (very thin neoprene that keeps the wind & rain out) and a pair of similar thin neoprene shorts. Top layer is a set of Lovig dry pants, and a light spray jacket (or) a Lovig dry top depending on the weather.

Sometimes I overheat a bit, but I'd rather start too warm than cold.

Another consideration is whether you are paddling or pedaling as you will probably heat up more quickly with a paddle in hand.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

outback paul wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 18:19
Another consideration is whether you are paddling or pedaling as you will probably heat up more quickly with a paddle in hand.
Nah it’s the pedalers trying to keep up with the paddlers that heat up the quickest :lol:
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Bringing this thread back from the dead :up:

I've been wearing these waterproof socks the last couple of seasons. A bit spendy, but made in Australia and keep your feet warm and dry for all sorts of yak and land based activities.

https://www.outdoornature.com.au/dexshe ... -seal~249

Cheers
Tim
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Thanks for that post Tim,
I always suffer from cold feet in winter, even when the rest of me is overheating. Will definitely check them out :)