Smoked Salmon - Making your by-catch a target species

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Smoked Salmon - Making your by-catch a target species

Post by Reeling »

Trent and I headed out to Williamstown Tuesday morning in search of snapper. Well, that's about as far as that story goes. We both came across a different school of good sized salmon - 40+cm. Boy they pull some good string!

Meandering between all of the red fever boats who were grasping at the slim chance of landing their first red after leaving lockdown we could stay on the shoal. I looked around at the dozens of boats who weren't giving them a second look as they continually checked their untouched baits.

While sat there, it got me thinking that it's a shame such a great sporting fish has such low table value and appreciation. Conversely, what would the stock levels of salmon be like if every Nonna's husband went fishing for salmon rather than snapper.

Surely this fish has its place on the table somewhere. If you are simply pan-frying or grilling fish then maybe salmon isn't your bag, but if you're cooking with strong flavours then is the structure/flavour of the fish imperative? I'm thinking, Indian, Arabic, northern African.

I then decided to make it my goal to try and make salmon "work" for my needs. First up is smoking - after all it's my latest home fad. Not to mention we fairly regularly purchase smoked trout for a selection of dishes like kedgeree, smoked fish pasta in creme friache sauce.
Some of what I sounded up
Some of what I sounded up
I forgot to picture the whole fish but we all know what salmon look like.

I brined the salmon overnight before patting dry in the morning and airdrying them on a rack in the fridge (uncovered all day). I then fired up the smoker and kept the temp below 150degF for the first hr before brushing with maple syrup and increasing the temp to 175F until it reached an internal temp of 130-140degF/54-60degC.

I cooled on a rack until room temperature before vac packing.

I used apple wood which a colleague kindly gave me after his winter pruning of his tree and mainly followed this recipe: https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/
on the ProQ smoker
on the ProQ smoker
All finished up and cooling
All finished up and cooling
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Smoked Salmon - Making your by-catch a target species

Post by maverick »

Looks fabulous.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by thelastreject »

Fantastic!!!

Thanks for the great write up and pics.

What Smoker is that?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

That looks so good Nath, made me hungry lol Yeah I like the look of your smoker too, saying that most people don't give salmon a look is so true, years ago I knew an older guy that would fish for parrot fish of the rocks down Cape shank way and his wife would smoke them in the electric frying pan, I don't know how they were smoked maybe just butter as smoke, but they did taste quite good.

I use lots of different herbs and spices for making different flavors to meat mainly Middle eastern and Asian flavors, although the Asian flavors are more in the broth. I love to experiment when cooking it adds more interest to a somewhat boring chore lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm