Keeping the sport alive.

Completely off topic!
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Keeping the sport alive.

Post by happyas »

The fishing club of which I am currently president, took 34+ cub scouts and helpers down to the Ferntree Gully Quarry today to try to pass on the interest of fishing to the kids. We supplied 16 or so rods and reels, hooks, bait, sinkers and a sausage sizzle and drinks. The kids had a ball and loved every minute of it, taking turns to fish. Well we did not even see a fish, but the reels got a good work out, being cast every 2 or 3 minutes. We had an information night with them a couple of weeks ago, where we showed them a couple of knots, cut up a fish for them and mentioned some safety issues when fishing. Hopefully some of them will take the bait and when they are older fish the outdoors and not on a small screen. Maybe we have kindled an interest in them about fishing. I hope so. We got the satisfaction of lots of little smiley faces having fun fishing.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: Keeping the sport alive.

Post by erik the viking »

Great work Larry
Although not really VYAK related, maybe a quick mention on here could lead to some 'extra helpers' ?
Are you able to yak on FTG quarry and if so is there any parking for yak trailers for those that are local?
Get them interested young and they will be hooked for life. :thumbsup: :-)
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

That's why I posted it here in the ride home. I don't think yaks are allowed I will check. there is no easy launching although it is possible. The "lake" is at the bottom of an old quarry which is a 5 minute walk down a zig zag concrete pathway that is not too steep. It is a very pretty place.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Nice one Larry.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

Thanks Mav and Eric.