New to Kayaking

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
greg--maka
Apprentice
kayak: i don't as yet

New to Kayaking

Post by greg--maka »

Hi i would like to open up a new page or topic for people that are new to Kayaking regardless of how much there Kayak is worth,and just meeting up and practicing all safety aspects,and legal requirements for Port Phillip bay and lakes.I have never Kayaked before and am quite nervous.I have watched quite a few videos on making the Kayak roll and tip over.I have gained some confidence watching a guy 190 kg doing it and expressing the fear he had and the many ways of getting back in the Kayak and staying calm. If anyone is interested on Sunday at Werribee south please let me know, [ or any other time and place].i will not be taking any of fishing gear,but feel free if you want to fish,my fishing stuff will remain in the car till i feel confident enough to fish,but my main aim is to get to know my Katak first ,overcome my fear and get wet if i need to.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: New to Kayaking

Post by happyas »

Wow that is the right attitude. I am located too far away to be of any help, but, keep your eyes peeled on the safety area and you may find some days devoted to this come up. Read all the tips as well. Hopefully someone from near you will see your post and offer their help.
greg--maka
Apprentice

Post by greg--maka »

Thanks Happy ,i will head up Mornington by next week if i dont get much reply,as i have seen kayaking school some were there before.
craigcole10
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Post by craigcole10 »

If you want to do a kayak fishing course then have a look at East Coast Kayaking website which are based at Sandringham marina. They do regular kayak fishing courses and are very useful. 3hr course was around $90 when I did it a couple of years ago and will give you a good base to kayak safely. It looks like the last one for the season is this month so give them a call if you are interested. As happyas said, there is plenty of good info on here and more reliable than what you get on fb

I've put a link below to the course but also have a look on the website as it will give some info on other safety aspects.

https://eastcoastkayaking.com.au/kayakfishing
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I did a private session with the East Coast kayaking and found it was a great session. Safety info and kayaking skills.
greg--maka
Apprentice

Post by greg--maka »

Thanks to all that contributed to my Sunday offer at Werribee south for my first Kayak experience i guess not many Kayak driven people live on this part of town. I missed out on the last booking on the 29 march Kayaking 3 hour safety course south of Melbourne but there is always spring time unless we are all kept in prison again.I found a great lake just after Melton on the Western hwy instead to go and practice. I will leave the boat at home this time and see how Kayaking goes for me,nice calm day not much wind
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Good place to play with your kayak is cambells cove on a high tide, when there is little wind as its shallow a fair way out, so you can practice falling off and getting back in without gettong out of your depth.
Pykes creek reservoir that you are talking about is deep whater
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by thelastreject »

greg--maka wrote:Thanks to all that contributed to my Sunday offer at Werribee south for my first Kayak experience i guess not many Kayak driven people live on this part of town. I missed out on the last booking on the 29 march Kayaking 3 hour safety course south of Melbourne but there is always spring time unless we are all kept in prison again.I found a great lake just after Melton on the Western hwy instead to go and practice. I will leave the boat at home this time and see how Kayaking goes for me,nice calm day not much wind
I've also done this course. The dude is super prickly but knows his stuff and the course was excellent.