Cheaters Skiff

Show off your DIY project!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Any idea of what the final draft of this will be so you can work out the westernport tides you can work with?

Are you sorting a special trailer for it?
Draft with the motor up will be less than the stealth and most fishing kayaks Think this way it will be about the same weight as a Hobie PA but a larger footprint So in turn less to float as for a trailer I started a bolt together light trailer a while back to put in the camper for the skiff or skis and I could just make something to bolt over my kayak trailer There are plenty of options
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

<<<<< heads over to Cheaters with his lead bucket to help with tons of ballast :evilgrin:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

well the W/End up date - Saturday after playing in the mud and rain putting a track back on a small 4 tonne excavator - of cause if you are going to drop a track it is in a wet shitty spot anyway after lunch I worked on the bow section Laminating the main bow deck beam and glued it in place
IMG_2053[1].jpg
Sunday - first thing clean up the deck beam so a little work with the block plane and also with a straight edge planed the top of the bow so the beams and bow sections lined up
I cut a section of 6 mm M/ply a bit over size for the front section of deck and clamped it on and it seams to fit up well enough - ( that now will wait for the supports to be finished )
so then I fitted up some more deck supports and while working in the area glassed in a small triangle in the bottom of the anchor well to seal it off from the front storage
IMG_2054[1].jpg
tomorrow after work I'll add to these deck supports laminating some 6 mm strips each side to give more glue surface area

and lastly I scarf joined some more gunnel strip on and glued it in position
IMG_2056[1].jpg
so that was the W/Ends progress
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

What are you doing for hanging the washing while the pegs are all holding the skiff together?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Isn't it great when you find a new use for things that really have little use like pegs that sit in the peg basket for days on end dot being used :lol: they say that you never miss something till it gone well I can testify to that every time I have a project it seems to involve clamps i don't have anymore :(

It's certainly starting to take the form of a skiff :thumbsup:
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Ok the next update

last W/E I got the dry hatch floor in the bow glassed and fitted 2 sections in the bow all glassed in and the front section of the bow glued on
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
and through the week got the 2 side rear sections of the bow cut out ( these wont be glued in place till the hatch seals are made and fitted giving me some where to clamp

by thursday I also had the rear section of floor glued in place and some strips glued around the rear pods for the pod decks to glue to ( these small decks are cut as well )
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
so tonight I got the boat turned back over to finish off the hard work strip around the bow
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
by tomorrow the thickened epoxy will have gone off so some sanding up and a layer of glass will reinforce this section

so Sunday the plan is to turn the boat back up the right way and trim the deck and this hard wood to size - a bit of jigsawing and some planing
I should get the pod decks glued on and wont to do some work on front hatch seals

Surprising how much gets done while in lock down
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

looking good :thumbsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

ok the main chores done this week end first up I was doing some mods to a trailer on Saturday when my 5 inch grinder gave up the ghost - lots of smoke and time for a new one
so off to Bunnings and while I was there I picked up a router - that leads us to the transom
IMG_2048.JPG
earlier in the month I chucked a short legged Johno on to get a measure and the cav plate was about 40 - 45 mm under the boat
the clamp screws wouldn't clamp the transom ether being only 21 mm thick

so I used the router to cut a 6 mm step about 60 mm down from the top both sides them fitted an inside and outside 6 mm plates and to 2 shorter plates over lapping the existing 9 mm left and used a 9 mm section for the middle
all epoxied up with thickened epoxy - and held together with clamps and some screws
IMG_2097.JPG
Sunday after the glue set I did a quick clean up and this is the result - by the time I fit an aluminium plate to take the clamp wear it will be think enough
the height is around 45 - 50 mm extra - so I'll dance the motor on through the week to recheck the mounting height
IMG_2101.JPG
today I also fitted up the remaining sections of bow and glued them in place
IMG_2098.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG
so now I can clean this up and glass the bow around the hatch seals
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Looking great Cheater :thumbsup:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

cant wait to see the next stages she's lookin good.