Tankerton?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Inky1986
kayak: Aquaglide blackfoot

Tankerton?

Post by Inky1986 »

So I'm thinking about heading over to tankerton for a fish, I've never fished there before though have heard it's a great place to target kgw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding good launching spots (was thinking crib point) how fast tidal flow is crossing said launching spot to reach tankerton?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Tankerton?

Post by shane »

Stony Point ramp would be the closest launch point.

However I wouldn't recommend you making that crossing unless you already have a lot of experience kayaking and in that area of westernport specifically. The tide flows very hard there most of the time and it is also exposed to a lot of wind in the channel. It's a location where things can turn very nasty for you in a hurry. If you're in your inflatable you could find it too difficult to get across as intended. On a run-out tide it would be possible to get swept past Sandy Point and be heading down the Western Entrance, not a friendly place for a kayak. In any case there wouldn't be many whiting still hanging around the area at this time of year.
0408 565 763
Inky1986

Post by Inky1986 »

Thanks Shane, yeah definitely as I'm in an inflatable it's definitely not the ideal craft for making the journey I will stick to corenet bay, I appreciate and respect your advice.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Inky1986 wrote:So I'm thinking about heading over to tankerton for a fish, I've never fished there before though have heard it's a great place to target kgw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding good launching spots (was thinking crib point) how fast tidal flow is crossing said launching spot to reach tankerton?
as shane has pointed out the flows across the main channel are fairly strong and are really better suited to the more experienced paddlers and also quicker kayaks
you are right though Middle spit and tankerton are good whiting areas

over winter though we have done better around Balnaring and have seen reports of whiting still ( be it hit or miss ) from Shoreham - the tide flows are much less than crossing the main channel but it can be exposed to swell and wind - so pick a good day if you venture there as well

whiting will be hit and miss for the next 2 - 3 months normally firing up just after snapper
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Inky1986

Post by Inky1986 »

Thanks cheater, as shane and yourself pointed out I will give it a miss I've been kayaking for about 3 years though I feel I don't have the experience to traverse that body of water just yet. I'm looking at upgrading to kayak more capable at the end of the year. The last thing you want to hear is news about a guy getting sucked out the western entrance in an inflatable haha

And thankyou for the advice around balnarring ect.. Your posts are actually the reason I started fishing westernport, so I take my hat off to you.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

This is tankerton jetty. I took a trip down there from warneet
Attachments
20170613_103308 - CopyB&W - Copy.jpg
Inky1986

Post by Inky1986 »

Nice shot Keith. Are there much squid around that area?