How Do You Lose A Shark Or Big Pelargic?

General offshore yakking discussion.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Re: How Do You Lose A Shark Or Big Pelargic?

Post by spider25160 »

I used to have a lot of success in Townsville on the Spaniards using split tail mullet. I don't have a video but I can try and describe it.
1. Fillet a suitable sized mullet leaving the fillets attached at the shoulders/gills. If you can run the knife though the tail fin even better,
2. Break out the frame and discard.
3 Push the eye of a 7/0 to 9/0 limmerick hook (single or ganged) through from the gut cavity into the mouth. So the point is down,
4 Push piano wire down through the top of the mullet head (there is a soft spot) through the eye of the hook and out the bottom jaw.
5 Thread a ball sinker and rest against the chin of the Mullet while you take the tag end of the wire and twist to the main part creating a tight loop which holds the sinker and Mullet fairly firmly together.
6 Cut the piano wire to a suitable trace length attach a swivel with another loop at the end.

I would make 6 or 8 baits the night before and of course take the makings to knock them up if needed during the day.

Hope this makes sense for you.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

David I've seen this done on videos i think they called it fillet rigging
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

spider25160 wrote: Hope this makes sense for you.
Like this:

0408 565 763
spider25160
Square eyes

Post by spider25160 »

shane wrote:
spider25160 wrote: Hope this makes sense for you.
Like this:

Yeah although they look like whole fish instead of filleted.
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Imagin filleting upto the butthole removing the backbone with tail so you have half the fish whole and half just the 2 side fillets then the 2 flaps create the movement to excite the intended target.

Is this how you see it?
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote:Imagin filleting upto the butthole removing the backbone with tail so you have half the fish whole and half just the 2 side fillets then the 2 flaps create the movement to excite the intended target.

Is this how you see it?
Yeah you are on the right track but it is filleted right to the shoulder so the two sides flap in the water to look like it is swimming.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

spider25160 wrote:
peatop wrote:Imagin filleting upto the butthole removing the backbone with tail so you have half the fish whole and half just the 2 side fillets then the 2 flaps create the movement to excite the intended target.

Is this how you see it?
Yeah you are on the right track but it is filleted right to the shoulder so the two sides flap in the water to look like it is swimming.
Thanks Dave i couldn't remember where the filleting stopped but the end result was the action :thumbsup: I've been watching different setups on YouTube and trying them out (as in having them beside the yak to watch the action) just to find which looks to be like a live bait, rokkit from youtube does a pretty good one using a home made weighted hook with a stinger and one video had the troll cam which you could see just how much difference the correctly setup baits did compared to the ones not quite as well done, one bait only swam properly intermittently and everytime it swam the fish (macheral) would come up and follow but then when the bait stop swimming they would just drop away, where as the baits that swam the whole time just got smashed, it would be interesting to watch different responses from different hb's and sp's to just see what really works and why.
spider25160
Square eyes

Post by spider25160 »

Is this how you see it?[/quote]
it would be interesting to watch different responses from different hb's and sp's to just see what really works and why.[/quote]

I love to watch the lures in the fish tanks at the boat and fishing expo's as you can get a real up close and personal view of the lure action and fish response. Even though they are not pelagic fish the feed response is interesting.