Never Underestimate The Power Of Nature

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Never Underestimate The Power Of Nature

Post by outback paul »

I launched from Warneet boat ramp yesterday about 8:30am into perfect conditions, with a rapid tide assisted pedal down the channel. As I was trying to get to Warneet as early as possible, I hadn't stopped to re-check the forecast (that I'd studied the night before), so I was expecting a gentle breeze until about midday, then 10 to 12 knots offshore in the afternoon.
When the breeze swung to the north and picked up in strength very rapidly, I was anchored in about 4 - 5m with gentle waves. At the time I was swapping over some rigs, and had squid jigs and fishing line all over the place. Shortly after the strong wind hit the yak swung around side on to the waves, and I realised that the anchor had lost purchase. What amazed me (and the reason that I'm writing this post) was how quickly the waves grew from a gentle chop into a very large chop, as I was drifting sideways towards French Island at about 3kph. I decided I'd better forget about sorting out the fishing gear, get the anchor aboard ASAP, and then get the yak heading into the waves again.

While at no time did I feel I was in any danger, I was reminded of the POTENTIAL DANGER for someone with less experience, or in a less seaworthy kayak. I was certainly pleased to be in a Revo 13, rather than an EBay special.

Once a bit closer to land, I sorted the rods and mess of jigs & lines, and attempted to trawl or drift again, but after a very short time I gave that up as a bad idea, and headed back to the Warneet channel. I'm very pleased I did when I did, as my voyage up the channel (even with tide assistance) became a very slow, hard pedal straight into the wind and half metre breaking waves. With wind against tide the waves were standing up like at a surf beach. By the time I got back to the boat ramp (travelling at about 4kph even with the tide) I was very wet and pretty knackered, but pleased with a solid workout (and a few squid for dinner).

Moral of the story: Never underestimate the power of nature
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Never Underestimate The Power Of Nature

Post by Reeling »

Good to hear you were safe mate. Its a bit of a slog to get up to warneet/tooradin from down there when you're against the elements. I've done tooradin against the tide and having to stick to the channel...its just goes on and on.

I do think that the true moral is probably with regards to:
outback paul wrote:I hadn't stopped to re-check the forecast (that I'd studied the night before)
True/alternative moral: Check the wind before you head out?!
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

And it is only a forecast, not a promise.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Nice to have a freshen up every now and again, keeps you on your toes. Thanks for sharing.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

One of these days a flotilla of those kayaks2fish pieces of S#!^ is going to get caught out in a big blow and someone’s gonna die
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Good reminder Paul, and always a good feeling knowing your capable to get out of those sorts of pickles :thumbsup:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I had similar out of warneet last year. Headed down in with a nice wind at my back, which progressively got worse, as I got near to the entrance there was a steady stream of boats heading back into the channel. So i pulled to the side in a couple of meter and dropped the anchor, 2.5kg with chain. The northerly got worse and boats heading back where getting airborne. All crowded in the entrance. As it got worse I started dragging anchor even with that set up. Had to put a ridiculous amount of line out to stop being dragged out into the bay and the waiting whitecaps.

Would have been deadly if I was already out in the bay, or had a lessor anchor. Once the blow passed I was surprised to see two guys in epic ocean skis come paddling in from Hasting direction. They would have been out there in the worst of it.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:One of these days a flotilla of those kayaks2fish pieces of S#!^ is going to get caught out in a big blow and someone’s gonna die
No worries they will have electric motors, wellies and jeans, maybe a pfd, and F^*K all experience.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

This also reminds me of some of the situations I've been caught in, but one more to the point is getting up 3-3.30am to head out fir the snapper, as the weather is not updated till 6am this can sometimes be an issue, launching in the dark in somewhat protected waters then heading out to find conditions aren't what you though, although this has so far not been an issue as such when I've gotten out past the protected area and find im riding a bit of a swell in the dark that was not on the apps it's a bit of a surprise and raises the question "should i return to shore" the apps have a live wind speed so this certainly helps to make a decision although the point wilson weather station has broken down and the peir is condemned so they can't and at this stage won't fix it, being in clifton springs this is the best weather station for accurate information on my location all others are inland so only give a partial representation of the true affect on the water.

I glad to hear you made it in ok :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Glad to hear all good in the end. I also check surrounding weather stations whilst I'm on the water. For example I fish Altona and if there is wind scheduled to come from the south at some stage and often it's the first 30 minutes is the worst I will check weather stations from the south.

A month ago I was on the boat but probably 12km out from the ramp. North wind picked up early but as soon as I thought it was about to get strong I headed back in. By the time I hit near Altona it was 30 knots. I was checking Melbourne Airport actual wind as the north wind will hit their first. That was my sign. So I packed up whilst it was glass conditions.

For those who use willy weather it also doesn't show short spikes that well as it tends to smooth the wind over a 3hr duration. Fish ranger is better at showing those spikes.
vernonbain
kayak: Next Gen 11

Post by vernonbain »

Thanks for the reminder Paul! it's always reassuring to know you can get yourself out of trouble.
11 Verrell St, Wetherill Park, NSW 2164, Australia
Website: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/sydney/doub ... em-kayaks/