Got a new yak

Show off your kayak!
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Got a new yak

Post by vicyak »

Having sold my PA14 2 months back and using my boat. Do miss the ease of a yak and quick packup. Love the boat but decided to buy another kayak to compliment the boat. Wanted something stable yet still light enough (compared to the PA14) anything will be lighter.

Last night a bought a Aquayak ranger for $450. Barely a scratch on it and only about a year old. Needs another rod holder and couple small things but I wanted something much easier than a PA14 carry and setup. Want to keep this yak as basic as possible. No sounder, batteries, peddle drives, etc.

Looking forward to getting out.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Got a new yak

Post by peatop »

A cheap sounder with gps would be worth having or a gps with your marks added ;) i thought you might buy another, but not so fast. :yahoo:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

Going basic on purpose. My favourite few spots I don't need GPS. I use land markers. Have most spots on my phone. What I miss about the kayak is simplicity and as long as it's stable I'm happy with that. That being said having the boat allows me to go out further, try different marks and it has everything I need to be comfortable.

With this yak I should be able to stop the car and be in the water within 5 minutes and same with packup.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Build them arm muscles up.. :thumbsup:

Ranger should be fine for the areas you yak fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

vicyak wrote:Going basic on purpose. My favourite few spots I don't need GPS. I use land markers. Have most spots on my phone. What I miss about the kayak is simplicity and as long as it's stable I'm happy with that. That being said having the boat allows me to go out further, try different marks and it has everything I need to be comfortable.

With this yak I should be able to stop the car and be in the water within 5 minutes and same with packup.
True. I must admit i take far to much, but if i don't im afraid i will forget something, maybe over winter i might get the time to clean/rearrange my garage and setup a fishing section, then i would be able to tick things of the checklist as i pack to go.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Hi Brian, I think you're going to enjoy your new yak. I've still got my Ranger which I fished from before I got the Revo. My son uses it now whenever we go out together. It's a bloody good yak with plenty of stability, and a nice high stern for when you're at anchor with a bit of a sea behind you :up: . Only negative is tracking in a strong cross wind, as it's a job to keep it going in a straight line, that's when you'll wish you still had a rudder :down:
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

Used the aquayak ranger yesterday. No where near the stability of the PA14 but once I got used to it was ok. tracked well but flat conditions helped. Remember I'm 135kg so doesn't help.

Thinking about getting stabilisers for it. Never used them before. I assume the difference in stability would be amazing. However what would the disadvantages be? The cost of the stabilisers would be less than flipping the kayak once and losing my gear.

Enjoyed the simple setup. Just lifted the yak up and carried to the water. Add my 2 rods and handline and launch was done in a few minutes.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

vicyak wrote:Used the aquayak ranger yesterday. No where near the stability of the PA14 but once I got used to it was ok. tracked well but flat conditions helped. Remember I'm 135kg so doesn't help.

Thinking about getting stabilisers for it. Never used them before. I assume the difference in stability would be amazing. However what would the disadvantages be? The cost of the stabilisers would be less than flipping the kayak once and losing my gear.

Enjoyed the simple setup. Just lifted the yak up and carried to the water. Add my 2 rods and handline and launch was done in a few minutes.
Out from campbells? Though I saw you nervously setting out. I headed out shortly afterwards with Nath (Reeling) and had a cruise down to Wedge spit and back.

I think you will just get used to the stability of the ranger, its not an inherently unstable kayak. Stabilisers are just more messing around and things to get in the way