Cheaper soft plastics for Kingies

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Cheaper soft plastics for Kingies

Post by mingle »

I bought a packet of those zman 8" white Sps earlier in the year. Despite it going over my self-imposed 10-buck price limit for lures! :-)

Not impressed with the so-called "toughness". One of them was shredded in seconds after a run-in with a school of couta.

The second was slashed by a pike and then chewed by (probably leatherjackets), rendering it pretty much "unswimmable"

I wonder how they measure "toughness"? Probably just like those shampoo ads that say brand-x makes your hair 75% smoother! :-)

Mike.
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

mingle wrote: One of them was shredded in seconds after a run-in with a school of couta.

The second was slashed by a pike and then chewed by (probably leatherjackets), rendering it pretty much "unswimmable"

I wonder how they measure "toughness"? Probably just like those shampoo ads that say brand-x makes your hair 75% smoother! :-)

Mike.
Nothing , not even Zman will hold up to those species unless they engulf the plastic. Then if they do, without a wire leader, you'd most likely be bitten off
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

I've got quite a few slim swims back in tact from pike but normally they'll ruin them after a few fish. generally if I know they are in the area I usually swap over to a shallow minnow.
As for toughness on things that don't have crazy teeth, I have caught north of 50 salmon on one zman before but I haven't managed my bag on any other plastic without it needing replaced.
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing