About s OT as you could get.

Completely off topic!
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

About s OT as you could get.

Post by RayS »

I know this is a bloody long shot, but I'm sick to death of "living" in a metropolis. If any of you hear even a whisper of any business/company looking for someone with a lot of Purchasing and Logistics experience, please keep me in mind. I want out of the city. Hell, I'll take any job that pays enough to survive on and is located somewhere within reasonably easy driving distance of fishable aqua.

Just putting it out there.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: About s OT as you could get.

Post by laneends »

An oil/gas rig? Sure they need a lot of logistics. Cant get any further isolated from town and close to water
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

Looked into that Keith. Age is a bit of a factor unfortunately.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Hi Ray,

You have Frankston down as your location, thought that might've ticked some of the boxes that you were after. Bit of a ways outa Melbourne and close to the water.
6fiddy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Seak Lunar 12 & Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by 6fiddy »

I'm hearing ya Ray. Been in this area nearly my whole life, apart from a cuppla stints totalling about 6 years. Gotta say I'm sick to death of suburbia. Would luv to live somewhere round Sth Gippsland or East Gippsland, but finding work that pays enough to keep a single income family of. 5 goings nigh on impossible. All the best in your search mate, I truly hope it pans out for you.
Cheers Steve
Have Yak.. will smile

PB's KGW 46m Snapper 77cm Trevally 38cm Gummy 98.5cm
Finchley
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie i12s

Post by Finchley »

Gippsland would be a great option if you can find work.

Having spent the best part of six months working in Sale, I can recommend it as a great town. It has good infrastructure and supports some reasonable sized business. Unfortunately, I don't know of any particular jobs going. River in town and the start of the Gippsland Lakes on your doorstep.

Bairnsdale is also a good option, and is probably a bit closer to a broader range of fishing spots. Check out Paynesville - great spot!
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

hah. Just found this thread.

I'm finding that I am growing steadily tired of Melbourne. If I could convince the missus to move to Tassie I would be gone in a heartbeat. I used to love it here when I was younger. Heaps to do, easy to get around etc etc...but now it is just a gridlocked, expensive S#!^ of a town.

I work on the far side of the city from where I live and have done so for near ten years. I have close to two hours worth of commute on a good day to travel 28kms door to door. That often creeps closer to three hours. Public transport takes about four and costs as much as using the car. I don't even want to talk about toll roads. We are talking about twenty days spent in the car just getting to and from work in a year if not more. That does not equate to a good work/life balance imo.

I need to change jobs to somewhere around the Clayton area and move to Mornington or a bit further down the peninsula.

My brother in law moved his family to Bendigo and the lifestyle is something to envy.

Time to start taking some risks with the career....or at least let it go a bit for a better way of living.
Yakatack
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ebay cheepy and a Spirit

Post by Yakatack »

Finchley wrote:Gippsland would be a great option if you can find work.

Having spent the best part of six months working in Sale, I can recommend it as a great town. It has good infrastructure and supports some reasonable sized business. Unfortunately, I don't know of any particular jobs going. River in town and the start of the Gippsland Lakes on your doorstep.

Bairnsdale is also a good option, and is probably a bit closer to a broader range of fishing spots. Check out Paynesville - great spot!
Gday Finchley. I must agree that we live in a nice part of the state, we have the high planes 1hour that side and on one side and the coast :thumbsup:
The hard thing is finding employment.

Ray I will pm jobs that suit your criteria
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Finchley wrote:Gippsland would be a great option if you can find work.

Getting good money might be a problem in my area as it generally commands less than in areas where there is a lot of choice in jobs like the suburbs unfortunately. Its the old supply and demand situation Im afraid.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

As you all know, I live in paradise!

It took years of planning, years of both of us working really hard, years of putting up with all the things in the suburbs you and we hate, and it took a bloody big risk. We came down here for years so we were very sure it was the right place for us before we finally committed, and even then it was almost a disaster. Moving to somewhere there isn't a lot of work is a risk, no matter how much you want to do it!

Within 12 months of moving here I had a big breakdown partly due to total misrepresentation of the job by people I thought I knew, and obviously didn't. It is only that I insisted that we wouldn't go into debt when we made the move that saved us!

We built a modest house that we could afford and owned it from day 1, and after I got crook we lived on the smell of an oily rag until I got the TPI pension. My point in saying this is, if you move to the bush, don't assume you can bounce back like you can where jobs are more plentiful. It is more desirable to live here, yes, but because everyone wants to do it there just aren't the opportunities that you might be used to having. A lot of people want the few jobs that come up and therefor the wages don't have to be that competitive.

Most of the people we know have moved from the suburbs just like us, some of them have had enough money before making the move and some have done it harder like us, but we all have the same thing in common. We really wanted it enough to get over the hurdles that came our way, and none of us could ever consider living anywhere else!

If we didn't have kids and other Rello's we would NEVER go go to town or the suburbs ever again.

Another observation is that you need to go far enough from Melbourne for the people to be real country folk and we rejected Sth Gippsland for that reason. You will find people in East Gippsland to be amongst the most friendly people that you will find anywhere. And I do mean anywhere!

I wish you good luck.