Hypothermia Video's

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Hypothermia Video's

Post by ELM »

Found two video's on hypothermia here on this site; Hypothermia Health......... Prevent Hypothermia.
The first video explains what hypothermia is and how to treat it. The second video will automatically load after the first video (well it did for me), this video explains some ways to protect yourself when in the water, from hypothermia.
Although it is made in USA and they use Fahrenheit instead of Celsius, I think they are both worth watching.

Avoid Hypothermia, dress appropriately when out on the water, dress for immersion and plan to protect yourself from wind chill after an immersion as well, the risk is not over just because you are out of the water. Remember to practice deep water re-entry's so you can get out of the water as quick as possible and maintain core body temperature, prevention is better than a cure.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Hypothermia Video's

Post by GoneFishn »

Just had a thought (yes it happens occasionally) what do think about the click and heat packs you can get might be a handy item on the kayak if you do happen to fall in.
Heatable pads which will provide warmth from 40 mins to 4 hours depending on size and style. Suitable for those on the move or requiring instant heat. The heat pads heat up to a hot temperature but not too hot to scold the skin. Can be re-used by simply boiling in water for a few minutes leaving it ready for its next use. As soon as they are triggered by a click they heat up instantly and solidify, then they can be massaged to make them flexible and comfortable to mould to the hands or body. Once they are clicked they start a chemical reaction which heats up the gel pad almost instantly, they then gradually cool down after some time (the time they last depends on size). An aqueous salt solution is used which can be super cooled to be used when necessary.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Hypothermia Video's

Post by ELM »

Have thought about them quite often, I have heard of some scuba divers using them inside dry-suits with success and think they may help maintain some warmth if powered up when you fall in or prior but I would be very cautious of them being used to warm an already hypothermia patient.

Not sure how much heat would come through a boot for your feet ?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie