Shimano Lucanus Jigs

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Shimano Lucanus Jigs

Post by HaTTerS »

I was just having a chat with Momunny about these jigs. We're interested to hear if anyone has tried these lures yet and if they work well in Victorian waters.

I know nothing about them, so all information and pictures provided in this post were obtained from http://www.tackletour.com (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... eview.html)

Introduction: Shimano is set to revolutionize the way anglers fish yet again with the introduction of a brand new bottom fishing system called Lucanus. Two years in the making this new system revolves around a new type of jig that carries the butterfly jigging concept to the next level.

The Lucanus jigs resemble a small bug-squid hybrid (the lure itself is named after the Lucanus, a well known series of stag beetle, most likely due to the likeness in profile). The lures are surprisingly heavy for their diminutive size and the cores are made out of a lead alloy. The body is compact yet hydrodynamic, and looks like the mantle of a squid or baby octopus.

The massive eyes reminded us of squid eyes and glow in the dark and the jigs come armed with owner stinger hooks, which are basically shorter versions of the ones used on the Butterfly Jigs.

The hooks blend beautifully into the skirts and can actually be changed out through the top of the jig. The actual body of the jigs is painted with a thick layer of paint, and the details look fantastic. The same can be said about the skirts which sport matching silicon and elongated glow in the dark appendages.

The Lucanus jigs are designed to target rockfish, but Bantam told us that he has also tried them for other species with success, including bass. The lures are designed to be especially effective for cold water seasons when fish are not normally as active.

The Lucanus jigs sport areas to tie the jigs on both on top and beneath the lure’s rear section. This allows anglers to rig the Lucanus jig either alone or with another leader tied on the bottom for elevated fishing. With another leader and weight tied below the rig starts to look like an oversized drop shot rig with the Lucanus jigs suspended.

To fish the Lucanus jig simply drop the jig to the bottom and start winding very slowly to move the jig towards the desired water column, then drop the jig to the bottom again and repeat several times. Bantam told us that takes were different and that it wasn’t necessary to set the hook to hard, as the fish really set themselves when they attack the bait. Simply keep reeling as you feel bites and interestingly because of the shape of the lure and the way that the hooks are positioned in the skirt the lure did not hang up often in Shimano’s tests.

The Lucanus jigs are the main component of the new Lucanus system which includes a brand new rod series dubbed Tescata, which is specifically designed with the right actions for the application. The Tescata jigging rod series will include both casting and spinning sticks. The rods will sport a “unique” hook keeper, but we couldn’t pry any further details on the nature of the design out of Bantam1.

Poised on the edge of sanity.
cybertrouts
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Tandem Island

Re: Shimano Lucanus Jigs

Post by cybertrouts »

I've watched a number of youtube videos of people fishing with these, and they certainly make them look like they are snapper candy!

I was sucked in and now have one in my tacklebox, awaiting September!
Knowledge is what you get when you read the instructions.
Experience is what you get when you don't.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

I have been told they will work better in westernport.
Apparently the faster the current the better they work.
Apart from that, I have seen them nailing snapper on a tv program.

Have not tried one myself yet, but may this season.
They are eye candy alright, and they will get down to depth in a heartbeat.
Apparently an up and down style jig is the method.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
DantheFishoMan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by DantheFishoMan »

Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Thanks for the info guys.

Diawa's version looks interesting. Very Occy like head on them.

Poised on the edge of sanity.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

I have tried them and so has my mate for a couple of seasons now and so far we havent caught a decent fish on them, they do sink well and i don't really think current has much influence on them being productive or not, i think the trick is to fish them r-e-a-l slow and let them just bob around off the bottom. I have heard you let them fall to the sea bed, give the reel one or two winds and put the rod in the holder and let the wave action do its thing.
I'm not saying they aren't good, but i've had more luck on plastics, but definatley worth a crack.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I have 1 lucanas and 2 daiwa, and they still have to see the inside of a fishes mouth. I have had them in the water when the snapper & pinkies were biting and we were catching fish on baits and sp's. Plenty of good promotion for them and my mate who works in a tackle shop has done ok on them, but I haven't. Tried them as bilby suggested, also on a paternoster rig and with a bit of bait on them (last resort). They may work, just not for me at the moment (or previously). They do look really good in the water.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
DantheFishoMan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by DantheFishoMan »

If you do want to try them make sure there is a bit of chop! I've found they don't work well in clam conditions, unless you're prepared to work the jig with the rod.
Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

I know some of the WA guys have been using them with some success on Dimersals like Snapper, Dhufish and a few other reefies.

Redfish tried the Lucanas jigs a few times last Snapper season off Rickets and found them quite snaggy..

Cheers

Tim
IceManDude
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by IceManDude »

I have used something similar, the Damiki Mausrin Jig, a much simpler design that worked a treat on reef fish up in Bundaberg QLD