waders

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
DazWah
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

waders

Post by DazWah »

im relitively new to kayaking and i use breathable waders when use the kayak. ive done some research and I am undecided whether they are safe or not to use. what are some other options?
PBs:
English Perch(redfin) = 2.1kg @ 480mm
Brown Trout = 3.8kg
Rainbow Trout = 2kg
Australian Salmon = 460mm
Snapper/Pinkie = 450mm
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: waders

Post by Babylon »

Bottom line is probably cost mate some wear waders some wear wetsuits, dry-suits ,Sharkskin pants and booties .
I wear sharkskins and boots ,My Son wears waders,Neoprene ones.So theres no real Answer but most of all have your PDF on Cheers Jim ;) :)
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

Hey DazWah

I used to wear neoprene waders, but after reading a recent post on this site where it was highlighted that they can be very dangerous, I have decided to invest in some thin wetsuit pants and diver's boots instead. Apparently water will fill the legs and feet sections of neoprene waders making it extremely difficult to regain entry onto your kayak in the event of a spill.

It's better to be safe than sorry (or worse :shock: ).

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

A good read here;http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1455

I personally do not condone the use of waders on a kayak, they do pose risks for several reasons from water ingress, the main issue being no drainage due to the sealed boot. If you capsize and your waders fill, it will be a lot harder to re-mount your kayak, if you do manage to re-mount and drain the bulk of the water out, any wet clothes will only drain into the wader making it harder for your body to warm and limit the dangers from hypothermia.

Some say they will simply take them off or cut them with a knife. It may not be that simple and at the end of the day your first and only priority should be getting back on your kayak and maintain body temperature, not risk stabbing yourself or wrestle a suit off while you try to maintain contact with your kayak in 20 knot winds and 1 meter swells, don't forget you also have all your rods and lines to contend with and I can honestly say from experience, it's not that easy.

The only item with a fully sealed leg and boot that is safe (if worn properly, or not punctured) is a full dry-suit.
Long John wet-suits will protect your legs from uv + give thermal protection and drain. If cold wet feet is an issue, get Sharkskin socks, they will keep your feet dry warm and if you do capsize your suit will drain and not hold water.

Spray jackets etc for the top and no cotton, there is no place for cotton on a kayak.

Dress for immersion, not for comfort when sitting fishing and protect yourself from Cold Shock & Hypothermia.

These next two posts should be a compulsory read for all new kayakers;
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1294
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1295
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

Darren,
Elm is fairly passionate about this subject and his assumtions are mostly correct, A full lengthdrysuit IS the best option in winter. they are light, breathable and waterproof. they also lend themselves to layering warm clothes underneath. They also cost more than a bad day at the races.
ELM wrote:not risk stabbing yourself or wrestle a suit off while you try to maintain contact with your kayak in 20 knot winds and 1 meter swells,
If your are wearing anything that can limit your capacity in these conditions then YOU ARE AN IDIOT. A full length wetty or drysuit) and minimal gear is the way to go when these conditions are expected.
ELM wrote:If you capsize and your waders fill, it will be a lot harder to re-mount your kayak,
While this has some basis, this point has been overstated when it comes to kayaks. It is true that it is harder to get out of the water in filled waders. In a kayak you need to lift yourself out about 6 inches. Piece of cake if you have some technique about it. If you havent practiced fully kitted re entry YOU ARE AN IDIOT. It is actually harder to stand up and walk in shallow water than it is to do a soggy re entry.
ELM wrote:if you do manage to re-mount and drain the bulk of the water out, any wet clothes will only drain into the wader making it harder for your body to warm and limit the dangers from hypothermia.
Absolutely true, but you would be suprised how little water actually gets in when wearing well fitted waders, jacket and PFD.
Personally, i have been in waders for some years now and have tested their limitations in some trying conditions. my personal opinion is it is better to be warm and dry on the water. being a bit cold for hours (sapping your energy reserves) and then falling in will compound all the risks associated with cold water.
The unfortunate truth is, if you find yourself in the water in Melbourne you are probably in the most life threatening position you will ever find yourself in. You minimise the threat by staying well within your abilitys. stay within swimming distance of shore. Stay with mates who can help out if things go bad. keep your sessions short.
I have always used neoprenes but i have ditched those now. they are very heavy and then to sap your endurance. will be trialling breathables for the rest of winter.
Wetsuits can be a bit of a problem in winter. Thin ones dont keep you warm and heavier ones can restrict your mobility. They are good for some.
I guess you can see from this, that there is no perfect answer. There are pros and cons with all and only you can decide the best way to go. The most important thing is you have a plan to get yourself out of trouble if the worst does occur.
ELM wrote:Long John wet-suits will protect your legs from uv + give thermal protection and drain. If cold wet feet is an issue, get Sharkskin socks, they will keep your feet dry warm and if you do capsize your suit will drain and not hold water.
Not a bad option.
If you can afford it, get a drysuit.
The waders you have are better than nothing. but practice getting back on. Its not hard but you need to know what works for you and your kayak. No fun at all in winter but essential none the less.
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

I wear an old pair of Horne waders I used to use for trout fishing. I wear them without the straps. Probably not the safest option, they do keep me warm and dry. I only wear them is safe conditions, not rough surf. My theory is that without the straps they should fall off if I went over. I might try in summer one day and see what happens.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
Scott Lovig
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobies

Post by Scott Lovig »

maccayak wrote:I wear an old pair of Horne waders I used to use for trout fishing. I wear them without the straps. Probably not the safest option, they do keep me warm and dry. I only wear them is safe conditions, not rough surf. My theory is that without the straps they should fall off if I went over. I might try in summer one day and see what happens.

Geoff
My experience is that in the water they will actualy suck to you like glad wrap. As you hit the drink the water pressure will drive air out the top. Getting thin flexible waders off in the drink is near impossible. But due to the clinging effect stuff all water goes in. Water just slowly wicks in via your clothes underneath.

I like to wear them myself but always with a life vest and I know my abilities in the water. I have fallen off in light surf and re-entered my yak while wearing waders. But they arent for everyone because when sucking to you in the water your movemnets can be stiffened.

Waders are a hotly debated subject. There are pros and cons. If anyone wants to wear them then try a test capsize before commiting your self to deeper water.
Cheers

Scott Lovig

Scott Lovig Hobie
03 5975 6399
12C Satu Way Mornington 3931
http://www.slhobie.com.au
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I know i've said it before but i'll say it again and again, if you haven't fallen off your kayak wearing what you normally paddle in do it in shallow water and then do it again and again. To bad if it's the middle of winter, if you've never tried to get back into your kayak after falling out you're an idiot and have no right being out there on the water running the risk of endangering others.

If you've never read Elm's story of his capsize and still think you'll be fine, have a read, plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

ratfish wrote:I know i've said it before but i'll say it again and again, if you haven't fallen off your kayak wearing what you normally paddle in do it in shallow water and then do it again and again. To bad if it's the middle of winter, if you've never tried to get back into your kayak after falling out you're an idiot and have no right being out there on the water running the risk of endangering others.

If you've never read Elm's story of his capsize and still think you'll be fine, have a read, plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.
What he said