911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: 911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

Post by ELM »

blahger wrote:Slight off topic deviation (out of character?)

As I'm usually a fat man trapped in a thin man's wetsuit, any other paddlers get chaff grief? Or am I just not lubing up enough. And I'm talking about the shoulder region after lots o' paddling.
Hi Blahger,
What exactly are you wearing, wetsuit with long arms or a Long John wet-suit with straps over the shoulders ?
Jacket etc?

Edit; and where on the shoulder is the chafe ?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Kybosh wrote: I also thought about fitting a waterproof zip to the lower leg/ankle to drain the water if they ever filled up. Could be a solution as neoprene waders are real cosy to wear.
John
Hi Kybosh the only thing wrong with that idea would be the cost. Pee zips are the shortest/cheapest you will get and here in Australia they would cost about $150 each to have them fitted, if you import the zips and fit yourself, you will still be looking at $80 to $100 to buy the zips without glue, seam tape etc.

Being as stiff as they are they may also cause considerable chafe on the legs if you were using a Hobie Mirage drive not so bad if you paddle.

As some have said, the sharkskin socks are water proof so they keep your feet dry/warm and for the cost comparable to the zips if not cheaper I would believe (have not checked a price).
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Heya Ed

Full wettie, pit grief, kinda understandable

Mate cut his into long johns but got it kinda wrong, looks a bit like a long leged mankini
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Edit: I should add, I am only going by what I have been told by paddlers and from my own limited experience.
Yes if you are a paddler, full wetsuit is a no go for that reason, chafe. You need a Long John style suit, braces or pants with jacket to give you the unrestricted movement in the shoulder. I doubt any amount of cream etc would solve the problem, if you tried a silk or similar top under it for the slip factor, I think it would bunch and still chafe.
If its a cheap suit and just for your kayaking, then I would first try to cut it into a Long John with thin shoulder straps. Think seriously about where the chafe occurs and make sure you remove that section. If you stuff it up then just cut it lower like waders are and sew on some braces, If you set them on an angle so they cross over at the back, that will help stop them from ridding down over your shoulders, also not to far apart when sewn on the back, that will cause them to cut into the neck, you could also make them adjustable which may help with comfort.

Just no fitted boots making them a wader and able to hold water, water needs to be able to drain from the suit unless the suit is completely sealed (dry-suit).

Cheers
Eddie

Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Hey Blahger, have you tried a rash vest? Used to be a standard bit of kit for surfers in the 80's. Basicaly a spandex t-shirt worn under the wetsuit, available at surf shops for around $30 ;)

Tim
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

blahger I have been wearing my springer for the last couple of months for that added bit of warmth, and the first thing I noticed was my arms got fatigued quicker with the springer on (short sleeve and leg wetsuit) So the other week I cut off the sleeves and is now 100% better. I found that there was to much compression/restriction on my shoulders.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I wear 2 rashies and a neoprene pfd, perhaps a longsleeve shirt under the pfd and a spray jacket over the top if it is raining or cool. The neoprene pfd adds a great deal of warmth without restrictions on movement.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

forgot to mention, after 20k's paddling the other day, no issues with rubbing under the arms.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.