Cheap bilge pump

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Cheap bilge pump

Post by SurfanFish »

I've been swamped a couple of times now and usually mop up using a sponge. Not sure what others are doing but getting a bit more safety conscious these days, I thought I'd look at cheap bilge pump. There are a few types about, even one you can slot onto a bait pump, but this sort of thing probably needs a bit of experimentation to work out the best approach for a kayak. In the meantime, I figure this kids water toy will do the job. I picked this up from Big W for $8 or $9 in the pool noodle department last week. Seems to work well and not that big. (Also saw this mentioned on a couple of other forums earlier today so others are obviously finding this works)

Rob
pump.JPG
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Cheap bilge pump

Post by ELM »

So how does it work, is it just a round sponge on a stick instead of a square sponge without a stick, does it pump water ???
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

Yeah Eddie - it pumps. Just has a small hole in the end that possibly needs drilling for better effect (need to experiment). Between this and a sponge, I expect you could empty a cockpit fairly fast. Basically for kids to have water fights. Suspect some big kids on yaks could have some fun with these as well. Supposed to shoot about 10m.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Ok, cool maybe some summer fun between flicking lures :lol:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie