Combo's for chasing Tuna

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Combo's for chasing Tuna

Post by Seasherpa »

What are your combos for offshore? Thought I might start a thread for those collecting gear for offshore trips.
Everyone does things a little differently and has a different budget to work with. I know Cheater has made the most of the Tackleworld sale :evilgrin: I keep it simple and run three set-ups but will probably run another version of the casting set-up with a metal slug for the long weekend trip.

Trolling:
2 x Penn Mariner 6ft 10-15kg rods
Penn Spinfisher 650 reels spooled with 30LB braid
Leader 80Lb Jinkai

Casting plastics

6'6 10kg rod
6500 reel
30LB braid to 50LB flouro leader
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Re: Combo's for chasing Tuna

Post by Matt.A »

10000 Saragossa with 7' 10-15kg Tcurve - good for stickbaits

18000 Saragossa with 15kg jig stick - skirts/xraps

Torium 20 paired with 10kg overhead - skirts/xraps

TLD25 15kg overhead - skirts/xrap

5000 Stradic on 1-3 PE gumoku - small jigs, awesome little combo.

These are my main tuna/kings/bottom bashing outfits

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Here's my current setup:

Trolling:
Fin Nor Lethal 100 with 50lb rainbow braid on a 10-15kg Penn7' rod - trolling large HB's (generally shotgun)
Okuma Salina 3 10,000HS with 50lb rainbow braid on a 15-24kg 6'6" ebay jig stick - trolling large HB's (xrap30)
Penn 560L with 30lb braid on a 7' 10-15kg Silstar Powertip rod - medium HB's (xrap20, williamson spedpro 160)
Min 2 and sometimes 3 lines out trolling with one way back in shotgun off the rocket launcher and the other 2 staggered.

Casting (stick baits/poppers/slugs/plastics)
Daiwa 2015 Freams 4000 with 20lb rainbow braid on a Berkley Drop Shot 7'2" 10-12kg rod
Penn 560L with 20lb braid on a 7' 8-10kg Rovex Altus rod

I also carry a lighter rod for trolling smaller HB's to pick up salmon/pike/couta on the troll out as back-up bait. Sometimes I'm also towing a teaser made up of three mirror floats that's attached to a hand-line.

If coming back in through the surf I will de-rig all rods behind the surf with lures in the centre hatch and rods/reels stowed horizontally in the PA. I learnt my lesson not to have any hooks around coming back through the surf. :oops:
0408 565 763
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

2 x Gosa 10k on Tcurve Kingmack spins (mostly big offshore kings, have done and can cast at most sbts). Soon both will have Saltiga Boat pe4 on them

Torium 16 on a Tcurve kingmack oh (spewing they don't make the rods anymore). Great trolling setup. Potentially a little light for sbts, haven't tried. It's got 50lb Powerpro but will have the Saltiga boat by summer

TLD 20 on 10kg stand-up stick. Suits Makos and small sbt.

TLD 25 on 15kg stick. As above

Tiagra 30wlrsa on 24kg Tcurve Tiagra stand-up. To good a price to pass. Perfect for a lot of sbt except for the super jumbo barrels without being as heavy as a 50.

Gosa 18k on a jig stick of some sort (can't remember but a rat king doesn't bend it at all). It's spooled with 80lb Powerpro.

Yes I get a very very good price on Shimano gear
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Well I've just spooled up my 2 new penn 560s with 30 lb braid one is going on a 15 - 40 lb Terez rod and the other on a cheap ebay 10 kg rod
both are to chuck things at tuna
one will have a SP and a slug on the other

for trolling I have 2 jigmaster penns spooled with 30 lb mono - just serviced them and fitted new cabontex washers ( smooth or what )
both on cheap OH rods
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Just bought a Shimano BlueWater 8-12kg ($49), and a Rogue 2-piece 10-15kg ($39) from Rays Outdoor. These will be marry up to my Penn 560S Lineliner.
I might switch one of liveliner out to something with 6000+ reel, as I remember the drag was slipping line at SWR.

Still up in air ATM whether I can make it or not, as daughter had a nasty tonsillitis since last Wednesday, and yet to recover after on antibiotic for the last 4 days (high fever has finally gone yesterday, but her poor mouth is full of painful ulcers). So will be a last minute call on Thursday/Friday to see if I can fish the Sunday/Monday.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

CrazyChenski wrote:Just bought a Shimano BlueWater 8-12kg ($49), and a Rogue 2-piece 10-15kg ($39) from Rays Outdoor. These will be marry up to my Penn 560S Lineliner.
I might switch one of liveliner out to something with 6000+ reel, as I remember the drag was slipping line at SWR.

Still up in air ATM whether I can make it or not, as daughter had a nasty tonsillitis since last Wednesday, and yet to recover after on antibiotic for the last 4 days (high fever has finally gone yesterday, but her poor mouth is full of painful ulcers). So will be a last minute call on Thursday/Friday to see if I can fish the Sunday/Monday.
Steve,
I've had similar issues with my live liners after SWR (must be the water there). I opened it up and cleaned around the rear drive mechanism without puling it apart, then oiled it up and reassembled. Has been working well since.

The SW trip is a bit up in the air until the forecast becomes clearer. So making a late call is probably safest.
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Trolling:
- fin nor 750 on a strike game 5'6" 15kg with 40lb braid and 80lb leader
- Penn squall 40lb on a penn v-power 2.1m 8-10kg with 40lb braid and 80lb leader

Casting:
- Penn spinfisher 650 on a shimano nexave 681 6-10kg with 20lb braid and 50lb leader

Hopefully I'll get to see how well this setup works this weekend if the weather plays ball :?

I've also got a TLD25 that needs a new rod and respooling, but i hope to get that sorted soon as an additional trolling option.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.