How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

General offshore yakking discussion.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

Post by Yako »

FishnDive wrote:
laneends wrote:, as far as i am aware trailers commanly are not symmetrical about the axle
They are not allowed to be, but that is a whole other can of worms and the other definition of 'overhang' :lol:
Hi Eoin,
How much does your stealth waeigh (looks quite light)?
I'm trying to sort something out for my PA14 on top a small hatch back.
I'm not sure how well that front bar would work on the front of the PA for load, what do you think?
Also I'm trying to figure a way to get the yak onto the roof and was thinking something like the T bar pivot idea on the towbar (althought I don't ave a towbar). I was thinking of making or adapting a T bar for the front of the car that would pivot down.
I'm not able to use the Rhino slide out front rack side loader option (I think Shane & a few others use).
Thanks.
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako wrote: Hi Eoin,
How much does your stealth waeigh (looks quite light)?
I'm trying to sort something out for my PA14 on top a small hatch back.
I'm not sure how well that front bar would work on the front of the PA for load, what do you think?
Also I'm trying to figure a way to get the yak onto the roof and was thinking something like the T bar pivot idea on the towbar (althought I don't ave a towbar). I was thinking of making or adapting a T bar for the front of the car that would pivot down.
I'm not able to use the Rhino slide out front rack side loader option (I think Shane & a few others use).
Thanks.
Eoin's rack would still be good for a PA. It shouldn't have much actual load on the front rack and is there kmore for stability. But either way Eoin's rack is very solid. I don't use a froint rack, I just have a rope at the front to aide with stability as my racks are closely spaces. My side loader is also just a DIY pole spanning across the sides of each rack so I'm not sure whay you can't do that, it would work with any pair of racks.
0408 565 763
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

FishnDive wrote:Here's how it finished up:
IMG_2608.JPG
Made from round alu, its pretty light and reasonably aerodynamic. Took it for a test run this morning (down to Tackleworld) and it worked a treat so no rear overhang and only a few cms at the front for less than a third of the price of a nudge bar and t-rack.
Have a couple of pads on the bonnet to stop it scratching paintwork, but I'm planning on driving/rusting this car into the ground as a fishing wagon anyway so it doesn't really matter. With the angles on the bonnet,its a push fit and can't move backwards any further than where it is. Can be easily removed to stick it in the boot when not needed. It tilts inwards a little away from pedestrians and obstructs my view way less than the t-rack I used on a Bunnings ute.
IMG_2610.JPG
Will give it a proper test on the way down to Ricketts in the morning.
Thanks again for the heads up on the hang gliding forums Shane :thumbsup:
Top job made in a relatively short time - Just in time for the road trip to SA.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Further confirmation came from VicRoads via email today:

Good afternoon Eoin, Victoria follows the same rule requirements for rear overhang on Light Vehicles as other jurisdictions which currently allows for 60% of the wheel base or 3.7mtr which ever is the lesser may be projected rearwards from the centre of the axle group. There is also a 1.2mtr maximum load projected passed the rear most part of the body that needs to be adhered to as well. Unfortunately the document titled REAR OVERHANG LIMITS FOR CARS AND TRUCKS IN VICTORIA can be unclear as it doesn't capture all the rear overhang requirements for light vehicles.

Regards
Vehicle Safety and Compliance
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

It's never 100% crystal is it?

So does that mean I can have 1.2m of my kayak hanging past the rear-most part of my car?

Does the tow-bar count as the "rear most part?"

Mike.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

mingle wrote:It's never 100% crystal is it?

So does that mean I can have 1.2m of my kayak hanging past the rear-most part of my car?

Does the tow-bar count as the "rear most part?"

Mike.
Rear overhang allowances are different for each car. To work it out for your car measure from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle. Take 60% of that measurement and you have the rear over hang allowance for your car. The rear over hang allowance is measure from the centre of the rear axle.

Here's an example:
Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.25.52 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.25.52 pm.png (28.83 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
Say the wheelbase (W/B) is 2500mm you would calculate 60% of that which would be 2500mm x 0.6 = 1500mm. That means that your rear overhang (ROH) can be 1500mm which is measured from the centre of the rear axle as shown in the diagram. The ROH is capped at 3.7m but that would only really be a concern if you're driving a truck.

The 1.2m number referred to in FishnDive's post might be referring to the maximum overhang allowed from the rear most point of the car without a safety flag or light. If you're load projects more than 1.2m from the rear most point of the car you must attach a orange flag to the rear most point of your load during the day or a red light if driving at night. I'm not sure if the tow bar counts as the rear most point but I wouldn't risk it over something as simple as attaching a flag or light.

I got a email from the person I was speaking to from vicroads saying that they've started working on a new information sheet that will make the rules and regulations more clear so hopefully that doesn't take too long to come out.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

AP-M wrote:
I got a email from the person I was speaking to from vicroads saying that they've started working on a new information sheet that will make the rules and regulations more clear so hopefully that doesn't take too long to come out.
They just need t5o copy the tasmanian gov PDF, far clearer. God knows how they have managed with this lousy PDF for so long
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

laneends wrote:
AP-M wrote:
They just need t5o copy the tasmanian gov PDF, far clearer. God knows how they have managed with this lousy PDF for so long
Probably a case of no one pulling them up over it until now.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Going back to this old nugget.

Just compared the different states regs on trailer overhangs. It seems all states are using the same words, but their illustrations to back it up vary and give two distinct differences in respect to forward load carrying area of a trailer, of which rear overhang must not exceed.

SA & QLD indicate drawbar is part of forward load carrying area
Vic, Tas , NSW, NT indicate that it is tray body only and excludes draw bar.
ACT no illustration to say which interpretation
(google state &" rear overhang" to check)

This makes a big difference. Its only the illustrations that are different. SA & QLD would suggest substantial overhangs..yet the wording of the regs is the same
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

...must... resist... the urge...

na - couldn't help myself.
Smish wrote:
A Volkswagen Golf with an overall length of 4.35m and a wheelbase of 2.83m would allow an overhang of 1.70m i.e. 2.83 x 0.6 = 1.698m...

Fairly well sorted out on page 4. Image