Tips wanted for buying a second hand Hobie AI

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Tips wanted for buying a second hand Hobie AI

Post by aussieDave »

Hi guys,

I'm going to have a look at a second hand AI on Wednesday night, it's an older model with the wet seat.

Do you guys have any tips on what I should look for?

Thanks,

Dave
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Tips wanted for buying a second hand Hobie AI

Post by 4liters »

Checking out whatever caused Shane’s to start sinking that time would be a good start. Rudder cable holes or something
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

4liters wrote:Checking out whatever caused Shane’s to start sinking that time would be a good start. Rudder cable holes or something
Yes and Taz's rear hatch that wasn't properly closed IIRC.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

What year Dave
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

My one is 2011. I have been on the newer ones (mavs) and they have made substantial improvements in the hull shape, amas and daggerboard release in the newer ones. My one is an extremely wet ride and really likes to bury one of the amas which is a bit scary. If I had my time again I would put up the extra coin and get a newer one.
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Hi Taz,
Fish Grylls wrote:My one is 2011. I have been on the newer ones (mavs) and they have made substantial improvements in the hull shape, amas and daggerboard release in the newer ones. My one is an extremely wet ride and really likes to bury one of the amas which is a bit scary. If I had my time again I would put up the extra coin and get a newer one.
The guy thinks it's a 2009, it is only $2K with a registered trailer so I can't expect too much.

Dave
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

With 2009, check whether it has the ammas that clip straight in or the pins. I suspect the latter, there were a few issues on earlier models that took until about 2012 to iron out. There is a list of changes by year of the Hobiecat forums. Also be very careful with cracks around the mirage drive in older models. The price sounds good. I've seen cheaper but with some major issues (eg Nello's).

The initial leak with mine was due to the rubber grommets being missing in the rear and overloading it with a live well. There are improvements that can be made including vaseline at the cable openings that helps. Lightly loaded and the tail shouldn't go underwater but it doesn't take much load to get it down. (Remember I tend to take the kitchen sink out with me).

I agree with Taz's comments that the newer model is far superior. The old model can still do a reasonable job but sailing it heavy laden in rough weather will see you regularly pumping out the hull.. The nose tends to submarine a lot in rough weather and will get water in through the front hatch. If you keep it lightly loaded and install a skipper seat it can be a moderately dry ride in modest conditions. The older AI's are still quite capable and a lot of fun and I did manage to do a lot of sailing on it and pull in some very good fish. I'd still prefer and older AI over most other yaks. It's just that the newer model is that much better again.

This reminds me, I'd better get around to selling my old AI as it's been sitting covered up from a while. :roll:
Last edited by shane on 21 Jan 2020, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
0408 565 763
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Unread postby shane » 20 Jan 2020, 15:15
With 2009, check whether it has the ammas theat clip straight in or the pins. I suspect the latter, there were a few issues on earlier models that took until about 2012 to iron out. There is a list of changes by year of the Hobiecat forums. Also be very careful with cracks around the mirage drive in older models. The price sounds good. I've seen cheaper but with some major issues (eg Nello's).

The initial leak with mine was due to the rubber grommets being missing in the rear and overloading it with a live well. There are improvements that can be made including vaseline at the cable openings that helps. Lightly loaded and the tail shouldn't go underwater but it doesn't take much load to get it down. (Remember I tend to take the kitchen sink out with me).

I agree with Taz's comments that the newer model is far superior. The old model can still do a reasonable job but sailing it heavy laden in rough weather will see you regularly pumping out the hull.. The nose tends to submarine a lot in rough weather and will get water in through the front hatch. If you keep it lightly loaded and install a skipper seat it can be a moderately dry ride in modest conditions. The older AI's are still quite capable and a lot of fun and I did manage to do a lot of sailing on it and pull in some very good fish. I'd still prefer and older AI over most other yaks. It's just that the newer model is that much better again.

Now that is some very useful information all based on many years experience and useful observations, all for free.
I don't own an AI, and never will. (unfortuntely.......... as they look like they would be a real blast!) but all that info is priceless.
Thanks Shane for your very insightful and prompt responses to members enquiries. :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Here's a link to the list of all AI/TI changes over the years:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=46735
0408 565 763
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Thanks Shane,

I appreciate your advice, I'll check out that link through the day today.

My checklist so far is:

- Ammas: clip straight in or pins (check pin material)
- Cracks around mirage drive, check around mast support too
- Check sail and rigging in good condition (I imagine a new sail wouldn't be cheap)

Trailer
- Rego
- lights
- rust

I think I might need to expand this by tomorrow night but it's a start

Dave