Tips wanted for buying a second hand Hobie AI

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Tips wanted for buying a second hand Hobie AI

Post by maverick »

SLH are selling a brand new 2018 for $6,300 (red) or Dune for $6,400. (on special - instead of $7,190).

Buy it on a credit card, then do a balance transfer to 0% interest, then pay it off within the required time frame and don't pay any interest, just an idea. :evilgrin:

Make sure you cancel the first credit card.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

I wish Mav,

I can't really afford to get this one but the opportunity has come up and even if I can't knock him down a bit on price I'm thinking $2K for an AI with registered trailer is a great deal as long as its in good condition.

My motto is to buy when a bargain pops up and not when I want to go out and buy one.

Dave
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

aussieDave wrote:I wish Mav,

I can't really afford to get this one but the opportunity has come up and even if I can't knock him down a bit on price I'm thinking $2K for an AI with registered trailer is a great deal as long as its in good condition.

My motto is to buy when a bargain pops up and not when I want to go out and buy one.

Dave
Like your motto, it's usually mine but it seems not so much with yaks lol good luck getting one im a little envious :evilgrin:

But im still not sure what and when i can get my second yak for offshore use :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

aussieDave wrote:I wish Mav,

Dave
All good, just letting you know.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Hi Dave,
Check the serial number engraved on the hull then look up the codes online to confirm the year of manufacture.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I'm a bit of a fan of the original 2007-2014(?) A.I. as it's a more versatile boat overall, in my opinion.

Any A.I. is a heavy lump and if you're used to a 'normal' kayak you'll be in for a shock when it come to moving the things around and setting it up - they can be a pain in the arse, if I'm honest.

The later model is even bigger and heavier again, plus it's harder to use in 'kayak-mode' - not sure it's even possible with the higher vantage seat(?).

I have a 2012 model and regularly take it out as just the hull and it's quite zippy and stable.

I also use it with a single outrigger (with tramp) which makes it a very stable platform. And I'd hazard to say it would out-pace the newer model in both these modes.

Where the newer model is better would be offshore if rougher conditions, something you really have to enjoy (I don't!).

I actually have some bigger T.I. outrigger floats (AMAs) for my A.I. which make its more stable / buoyant than the newer model and with the bigger sail (which I haven't got yet) it would also be faster :-)

They're still a wet ride though and no matter whichy model you chose, you'll need waterproof clothing!

One other thing to consider, is if you're going to have to haul a trailer around, it may be better to get yourself a boat.

I know it's extra costs for rego/insurance/etc, but even a simple 4 or 5m tinny will get you to spots far quicker, in far better comfort than any kayak ever could...

Cheers,

Mike.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

If you’re like myself and others, having a yak and also the option of the A.I is chalk and cheese compared to a boat.
It’s not always how fast you can get there but part of it is the thrill of getting to the spots.
I’m hoping I can get myself an A. I, although if I had the aluminium arms AKA’s that connects to the AMAS I’d be sorted as I have the other bits, oh and a Dagger board.
I personally enjoy the workout and “finding” that fishy spot in my yak and hopping in a noisy stinky boat leaves me cold and bored but that’s me.
If anyone knows where I can get the AKA’s from second hand please let me know (trying to keep my project build costs down).
I agree with Mingle on the AI hull on it’s own, it cuts through the water so much easier than my PA14 (I did a quick 15K run in my AI/Revo hull last week and felt like I could’ve easily doubled it).
John 3.16/17
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Thanks for the tips Jacko, Mingle and Yako.

A tinny just wouldn't cut it with me, I love the exercise and being one with nature, the one on one fighting of sportsfish that you get on a kayak and I have a bad back so sloshing around in a boat is the worst thing for it, in a kayak I just sit down and relax and my back is fine.

I want a yak that I'll mainly use offshore, I reckon I'll still use the outback for bay and estuary fishing, the outback is just a bit slow for offshore.

Unfortunately I got a message from the guy saying he doesn't want to sell it now so I'll have to keep an eye out for the next opportunity.

I'm better educated now so this thread isn't a waste.

I'll have to see if I can wrangle a test run on a couple of different models of AI's, Adventures and Revo's on the weekend if anyone would be kind enough to let me take their pride and joy for a spin.

Dave
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I'll have to see if I can wrangle a test run on a couple of different models of AI's, Adventures and Revo's on the weekend if anyone would be kind enough to let me take their pride and joy for a spin.
We will sort something out, both modes in the newer AI ((sail and pedal) if you want.
The later model is even bigger and heavier again, plus it's harder to use in 'kayak-mode' - not sure it's even possible with the higher vantage seat(?).
Pulled the hull up and down the Goat Track a couple of times when I was between small yaks. I was chasing Pinkies and it was ok, not bad to paddle actually but the bigggest issue was being blown around by the wind. There is a lot of freeboard, which is good in some aspects and worse in others. With the dagger board down, it was reasonably stable. It paddled better than my Outback, and on a par with the Compass, but maintains speed better, once you get going. It would make a pretty good offsore pedal yak, but I haven't tried it without any AMA's yet.
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

maverick wrote:
We will sort something out, both modes in the newer AI ((sail and pedal) if you want.
That would be great mate, thanks.
maverick wrote:
Pulled the hull up and down the Goat Track a couple of times when I was between small yaks. I was chasing Pinkies and it was ok, not bad to paddle actually but the bigggest issue was being blown around by the wind. There is a lot of freeboard, which is good in some aspects and worse in others. With the dagger board down, it was reasonably stable. It paddled better than my Outback, and on a par with the Compass, but maintains speed better, once you get going. It would make a pretty good offsore pedal yak, but I haven't tried it without any AMA's yet.
I was actually looking for a Revo16/Adventure when I came across the AI, I can't really afford a full AI unless I can get it for a great price. I don't mind pedaling all day, I do this in the outback already.

I did flirt with the idea of using my Stealth Fisha 550 for my offshore work but it just seems a pain to fish from being a paddle yak and I'm struggling to keep my strength up as I age (I did a 19km paddle a couple of weeks ago and couldn't move my wrist the next day although I would have done this fine 3 months ago)