Feel Free Lure Kayak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Feel Free Lure Kayak

Post by peatop »

Hi John, training wheels on a kayak? Although im not quite at that stage I have considered them for my harley, i think the biggest issues faced with electric motors is being able to power them adequately, the lead acid batteries are not only heavy but they have a discharge rate of 20 hrs whereas the li ion and li po are pretty much instant by comparison but a very expensive initial layout and as Bruce said very light compared to lead acid.

Myself for the most part aren't against motors on a kayak but they don't suit my style, however in saying that i see an application for spotlock but again the technology isn't quite there to make it suitable for my style of fishing.

Bruce your battery also intrests me can you give more information about how you came by it, what it cost and how you charge it?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Mindi
Apprentice
kayak: Feelfree Lure 11.5

Post by Mindi »

Bruce...thanks a lot for that..very interested in the controller going into the T24 and also the 28 (?) prop...will research more...can you advisde a little more detail on the controller you found on eBay..?
Mindi
Apprentice

Post by Mindi »

and yes Peter..my 36 AH Gel & lead battery is barely adequate and weighs 15kg.... poor solution really with an inefficient motor
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Here is the PWM controller

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-10-55V-6 ... witch-Boar

I didn't use he case/fan or led display.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-10-55V-6 ... 0005.m1851

Here is the battery

https://www.lanplus.com.au/lifepo4-lith ... uct_id=326

As for charger lanplus has them however I already have a compatible charger, you can get 240/12v dual input versions from hobbyking which can be handy if away from mains power.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Mindi
Apprentice

Post by Mindi »

Many Thanks...one other question..have found the 28 prop....what were the issues fitting it..?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Thanks Bruce i was wondering how you charge it? Balanced, how many amps you pump in and how long charging takes.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Mindi wrote:Many Thanks...one other question..have found the 28 prop....what were the issues fitting it..?
The prop shaft is a bigger diameter I machined a brass bush to adapt, after looking into it further found some where just using some clear plastic tube as a sleeve over the 24 shaft.

Both props use the same shear pin, the 28 prop is known to be very brittle and hard to find as a replacement at times.
Mobile 0418991898
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

peatop wrote:Thanks Bruce i was wondering how you charge it? Balanced, how many amps you pump in and how long charging takes.
Most can handle 1c which is 40 amps for this battery my charger can do upto 15 amps, most times I plug it into a solar setup so around 5 amps current. At 5 amps this would take 8 hours from full discharge.

The battery has inbuilt balancing and low voltage cutoff so takes out the need for a balance charger, so no balance charge lead which I would prefer.

There pricey but I paid less as I picked the battery up myself, I have made my own 20amp lifepo4 packs but this was I believe a good price for the amperage size battery.
Mobile 0418991898
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yeah they are a big outlay but cheaper than lead acid/gel in the long run, i was running a 9Ah LGM for my striker plus 4 which was fine but once i went to the 7sv i could see it would become an issue, the 9Ah ran it fine for most uses but when away from 240 charging supply then it would become a problem, also the current drain would eventually kill the battery. I was looking into making my own li ion battery but after gathering all the information on it decided to buy the FPV 17.5Ah and a hobby charger, as i have a range of other batteries that i would prefer to charge properly and i like the way it displays the amount of charge put into the battery.
Mindi
Apprentice

Post by Mindi »

I am keen to stick a PWM box on my Watersnake T24 but there is something I dont understand.....if you connect it between the battery and the cables going into the head unit of the T24, dont you still have the dump coil technology in the process..? I get it that you get variable speed control, but surely to avoid the dump coil wastage you need to connect it "later" in the process...like directly onto the wires going down the shaft to the motor head. Clearly I am not an electronics person, so I hope the question is understandable. In any case the install looks dead simple but I dont see how the PWM avoids the wastage to heat.
John