Hobie compass

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Hobie compass

Post by cotso »

I was up today at SLH and was looking at the compass. Seriously thinking I might upgrade to the compass from my old model outback. Anyone have a pro/ con opinion on my thinking. The seat is the biggest attraction.
Over to you folks ,cheers
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: Hobie compass

Post by erik the viking »

Have a look at Maverick's review on here or on his other site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO1MlQeU5zU
The new Compass is great. New hull shape and lots of tricky bits, but the compass has everything an angler needs.
Lighter and a bit more maneuverable on smaller creeks or river stuff.
Just need to up the front hatch using the leftover one after upgrading the main one. :eh: :down:
Why Hobie do we need to do this?????
I have a 2015 Outback and if I had the spare cash I would definitely get the newer Compass for sure.
Speak to Scott or Josh at SLH about the pros and cons
E
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Compared to the older Outback, the Compass, is lighter, a little faster, maybe a little more stable (I find it easier to stand up in). I like the dry seat. I made a curved cover for the front to give a little more storage, but keep it light up the the front as it is low in the water.

Welcome to take mine for a spin if you want to test one.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cotso
Square eyes

Post by cotso »

maverick wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:33 Compared to the older Outback, the Compass, is lighter, a little faster, maybe a little more stable (I find it easier to stand up in). I like the dry seat. I made a curved cover for the front to give a little more storage, but keep it light up the the front as it is low in the water.

Welcome to take mine for a spin if you want to test one.
Thanks Pete
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
cotso
Square eyes

Post by cotso »

erik the viking wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:28 Have a look at Maverick's review on here or on his other site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO1MlQeU5zU
The new Compass is great. New hull shape and lots of tricky bits, but the compass has everything an angler needs.
Lighter and a bit more maneuverable on smaller creeks or river stuff.
Just need to up the front hatch using the leftover one after upgrading the main one. :eh: :down:
Why Hobie do we need to do this?????
I have a 2015 Outback and if I had the spare cash I would definitely get the newer Compass for sure.
Speak to Scott or Josh at SLH about the pros and cons
E
Thanks Eric
jakehower
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by jakehower »

I love the Compass. Got the 2021 model recently from SLH. It's great out in PPB. I rooftop it and find it pretty easy to handle. I went with the 2021 model to save on a little cash and I preferred that seat compared to the 2022 version.

Originally I was looking at the Outback but Josh made a very compelling case for the Compass.
thelastreject
Apprentice

Post by thelastreject »

I also have a 2021 Compass. It's a dream. You won't be disappointed.
I also car top and it's light and easy to manage.
Been out in some strong winds and never had any issues getting back in to shore.
It really is a great kayak!
Bluesmartyboy
Apprentice
kayak: Native Watercraft Titan

Post by Bluesmartyboy »

I also have a 2021 Hobie Compass.

Here's my impression.

Stability:
I find it relatively stable although coming from native watercraft Titan I opted to fit YakAttack Outriggers for confidence.

Tracking:
It tracks well in the water although occasionally it will spin out at the rear (even with the Berley Pro Rudder grade) and on the subject of the rudder I have found that after fitting the Steering upgrade the centre screw tends to come loose occasionally( even with thread lock on it).

Storage:
One frustration is when you replace the centre hatch with the rectangular one. I just wish I had gone for one that was longer running Bow to Stern as I find that having completed the standard retrofit you legs tend to get in the way a bit when opening it up and rummaging around for that magical SP that you know is gonna catch the big one.Look at the 2022 outback and you will see what I mean. I was concerned that I may not have enough storage but once you come up with a system that works it really works well.
Get some burley pro side dock thingies.....they are a godsend for scents, scissors pliers etc....

Seat:
Love it...Have done a ten hour session without a murmur from my poor abused spine I just wish I could slide one plane height box underneath it without spending the bucks for the burly pro seat upgrade ($99 for four pieces of plastic !!!! really)

Mirage Drive 180:
Excellent bit of kit just make sure to upgrade to the Turbo fins as they really reduce the effort required to get around.

Car topping is a doddle even if you do have a glass back like me and it was one of the main draw factors for it.
I don't understand why they have the two rear rails fitted as I do not see a use for them.

Summary:
As well as being a really good entry level Hobie for someone coming from a cheaper Chinese made model, I think it will be suitable for some as the only model they will ever need and will stand the test of time. It has everything you need to spend a day on the water whilst keeping the minister of finance happy. Personally I will probably keep mine for a couple of years and then trade up to a PA ( Simply because of my severe insecurity complex....lol)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Seat:
Love it... I just wish I could slide one plane height box underneath it without spending the bucks for the burly pro seat upgrade ($99 for four pieces of plastic !!!! really)
If you slide the tackle box between the seat fabric and the seat frame, it fits. :evilgrin: You only need the risers if you try to slide the tackle box between the seat frame and the kayak. You might need to lift your weight off the seat a little, if you are heavier.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
jakehower

Post by jakehower »

Bluesmartyboy wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 17:53 and on the subject of the rudder I have found that after fitting the Steering upgrade the centre screw tends to come loose occasionally( even with thread lock on it).
On this. I purchased the Brudder through SLH and installed myself. A few days later SLH emailed me and said they thought the screw was a little short after installing their first one. They spoke to BerleyPro and got a longer screws sent out. This might help fix your issue too?