Various Kayak Trailers

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Various Kayak Trailers

Post by Babylon »

Have thought about putting this up and others adding to it.
Some of us have made trailers and our ideas might help others.
So if you have built one please add to it .Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
here are some of mine.
if anyone wants any info about trailer feel free to contact me.
2rsea
The force is strong in this one
kayak: AI, Adventure, Outback, Kingfisher, OK Frenzy

Re: Various Kayak Trailers

Post by 2rsea »

Here's my set-up, had a 6x4 that I pretty well never use so decided to make it into a yak transporter. Cut off old drawbar and made a new one long enough so that the adventure would fit with only a few inches of overhang at the rear. Probably not well visible in my dodgy photo I took today are hull supports at midships & stern which lift out of the crossbars to allow transport of 2 yaks upside down if required, but in normal use I carry the boat right way up so I can leave it pretty well rigged ready for launch.
003.jpg
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Here's mine again.

Dig
Attachments
Copy of IMG_0556 (Medium) (Large).JPG
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Here's mine again too
Attachments
Ute&Trailer.JPG
Ute&Trailer.JPG (20.13 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
TrailerF.JPG
TrailerF.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Trailer R.jpg
Trailer R.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

They are all really nice setups guys I'm thinking about making a trailer myself for my outback and soon to be pro angler do you have any tips regarding registration, materials used etc... I have a good deal of welding experince ( stick oxy and mig) and accsess to all the gear required for making a trailer I just need some advice before I consider starting :up:
cheers Darcy
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Kingo wrote:They are all really nice setups guys I'm thinking about making a trailer myself for my outback and soon to be pro angler do you have any tips regarding registration, materials used etc... I have a good deal of welding experince ( stick oxy and mig) and accsess to all the gear required for making a trailer I just need some advice before I consider starting :up:
cheers Darcy
Darcy,
I drew up a few different designs by first working out what I needed the trailer to carry (Outfitter, so have double EVERYTHING). I don't and didn't want to back the trailer into the water, so I just used mild steel, but if you plan on submerging it, go Gal. I went with a single backbone like a boat trailer to save weight and expense on the extra material. I also designed and built as low as possible to save the back when lifting the yak.You don't need to produce the trailer at Vicroads but definitely get it registered as a boat trailer (exactly the same price as a box trailer), this allows you to park in trailer parking spots without receiving a fine. If you can use a mig, your 75% there. :thumbsup:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
2rsea

Post by 2rsea »

Hi Darcy, if starting from scratch I would go for single backbone design as Jenko suggests - low, light & doesn't take much in the way of materials. The design they use for real basic tinny trailers is quite easily adapted to carry 1 or 2 yaks. Cheers.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Thanks for the advice Gary and Nick are the any requirments on trailer design/construction to register it? Also roughly what did each trailer cost materials wise?
Cheers Darcy
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Hi Darcy when we did my trailer and went to register it i needed the receipts for the steel and wheels axle and such
to prove i had built it also had it weighed at a public weighbridge to get accurate weight mine weighs 270 kilos
with that info i went in and registered it as a home made boat trailer because its under 700 kilos didn't need to see it
also watch side measurement i think from memory anything over 2300mm needs to be looked at there is a trailer pack you can
download from Vic-roads which might help you.rego cost was around 35 and cost of plate wasnt much more I think.
hope this helps Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
2rsea

Post by 2rsea »

Hi Darcy, no real specific design stuff from vicroads point of view except for keeping within dimensional limits and under 750kg. Obviously you need to fit road legal lighting & reflectors, safety chain etc but the trailer pack tells you what you have to comply with it's pretty straightforward. Costwise I started with a complete trailer and only had to make a longer drawbar so not much $$$$ in it for my build, however because it wasn't previously registered I had to tell vicroads it was a new build which meant I had to produce receipts to prove I had built it. I had a docket for some steel but nothing else, luckily we sell trailer stuff at work so just made up a dumby invoice with a few odd trailer parts on it :shhh: . To give you a rough idea of what some of the bits might cost you - coupling $25, spring set (springs, hangers, ubolts) $50, axle complete w/hubs $140, mudguards $40 for raw steel ones. Like you I have a mig and all the gear so didn't have any labour costs to worry about.