Advice on box trailer for the outback

rambocambo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Advice on box trailer for the outback

Post by rambocambo »

Hi,

At the moment I am looking into possibly using a trailer to transport my kayak - I think I'm in this for the long haul hehe. I am thinking of getting a normal box trailer and then place 2 bars across using U-bolts to secure it in place on the side gunnel of the trailer. Looking for some advices and photos would be appreciated.

First of all, would modifying the trailer using the u-bolts a good idea?
Second, I feel that a 6x4 trailer is a bit short - by my calculation the outback would protrude more than 1 meter from the back of the trailer.
Is there anyway to get around this or the protrusion doesnt matter.

I don't have any welding experience or equipment, otherwise I'd love to DIY from scratch! Thanks in advance.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Advice on box trailer for the outback

Post by Windknot »

Here's a thread that might answer some of your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=1142

I ended up buying an old jetski trailer for my 12 foot Native Watercraft kayak. It was only $200. When I put the kayak on the trailer I had an overhand of around 1 metre, which I thought was too much. I ended up fitting a longer draw bar to the trailer, which wasn't hard to do, as it's just bolted on, as was the original shorter draw bar.

It is my understanding that I will need to register my trailer. I'm not sure if you will need to register your 6x4 trailer though. Some of my friends have been booked for carrying their boat on their unregistered 6x4 trailer, so it might pay to check.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
rambocambo

Post by rambocambo »

Thanks for the info Mick.

Yeah I did consider to extending the drawbar 1 meter, which is what I'd prefer. I emailed one of the trailer store near me for a quote on extending an existing trailer. They said it would cost $600 which I just laughed. I know that a newly build trailer the extenions would be for around $100, as advertised on FB market.

As for the rego, I've done the research and I will getting one regardless. Anything over 3 meters in total length including the payload needs rego.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

rambocambo wrote:Thanks for the info Mick.

Yeah I did consider to extending the drawbar 1 meter, which is what I'd prefer. I emailed one of the trailer store near me for a quote on extending an existing trailer. They said it would cost $600 which I just laughed. I know that a newly build trailer the extenions would be for around $100, as advertised on FB market.
Sam I'm doing an extendable draw bar for Iron Horse atm so he can use the trailer short both for storage and to use as a normal trailer and it will extend out to fit both his PA and Solo skiff
I have done quite a few lengthened draw bars
chase me up after the stage 10 lockdown if you like
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Cheaters the man if you need your bar extended :evilgrin:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

In terms of rails to support the Yak, I've opted for PVC. It's cheap and easy to install or remove from the trailer, bends to match the curve of the hull and gives supports with a bit of shock absorption.

Here's the rails set up for the AI on my beaten up old trailer. The trailer is a 6x4 that has had an extending draw bar and storage added to the front. The PVC rails are bolted into the tail gate from the top with holes in the PVC to get at the bolt heads. I set the nose of the AI on the PVC between the rails and then just slide it on to load. I love using a box trailer as all the rest of the gear can be put in the trailer bed and are securely covered by the yak and ammas. With the rails removed and draw bar retracted, I can still use the trailer like a normal 6x4.

0408 565 763
Joshua
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

Rear overhang is permitted if the trailer is constructed for the purpose of transporting a glider or water-sport devices (Yachts, rowing shells, surf skis, canoes and kayaks)
(Victorian Government Gazette No. S S2 2017 - Exemption certain class O vehicles from rear overhang limits)

So if your trailer is constructed to carry the kayak you can have rear overhang of up to 5 meters from the axle (An absolute ludicrous amount of overhang).
If the load projects more than 1.2m you must have a 300mm brightly coloured flag attached during the day, and a red light visible for 200m at night.
If the entire trailer exceeds 3m or is used for commercial purpose it must be registered.
It's all as clear as mud on the vicroads website and you basically need a law degree to navigate through all the relevant legislation.

My advice is have the draw bar extended and get the trailer registered, rear over hang is ripe for someone not paying attention to rear end you and even a slight fender bender will write off the kayak.

Shane's set up is basically exactly the same as I've done mine, large hole to access the bolt head in the top of the PVC then bolt through the bottom to the trailer. This means there is no u-bolt in the way of the kayak when sliding on and off.
A rubber washer between the bolt and the PVC will extend the life of the PVC.

You can get away with 50mm PVC but spend a little more and go the larger diameter for more support (I use 75mm on the trailer if I'm taking both kayaks and 100mm on the car if I'm taking one)
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
rambocambo

Post by rambocambo »

@cheaters Thank you for the offer. I do see you often around the coronet bay area in the distance, maybe I'll chase you up one day. Waiting for the restriction to expire before I make a decision on what I want to do, meanwhile I'm searching on fb market everyday.

@shane I really appreciate the photos you've provided, very helpful for future references and to other people. I have considered the PVC pipe modification as a second option. The only thing I wasn't too sure was weather the hinges on the tailgail will be strong enough to carry the weight of the kayak - I've never had a trailer before so I wouldn't know. I think you've cleared that up for me. Thank you for your input.

@joshua I think your interpretation of the law is the most accurate so far and should be precedent for future posts :!: . As for the modifcation, thats some really good tips. I actually wanted to set two bars across (like roof bars) so I can load the yak from the side and have it flipped upside down. This way I can store the kayak on the trailer when not in used and remove the u-bolt if I want to use the trail as per normal. Flipping the yak is sort of a pain..maybe I'll follow what you guys have done.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Joshua wrote:Rear overhang is permitted if the trailer is constructed for the purpose of transporting a glider or water-sport devices (Yachts, rowing shells, surf skis, canoes and kayaks)
(Victorian Government Gazette No. S S2 2017 - Exemption certain class O vehicles from rear overhang limits)

So if your trailer is constructed to carry the kayak you can have rear overhang of up to 5 meters from the axle (An absolute ludicrous amount of overhang).
check the wording 5 meter over hang is not measured from the rear of the trailer it's from the center of the axle/axle group
and remember this really is to fit in with some craft

ie trailer sailers is the first that comes to mind - the reason these got this exemption was that trailer sailer like most sailing boats have the weight carried a mid ship with most being at the keel if these boat had to keep with the 3 meter max rule the draw bar weight would be way to high - you may also note that these trailers and load can't be over 2 meters at the rear - it's not ludicrous just practical

now there are 2 ways to lengthen what you can carry a long load on like a kayak a 6 x 4 - first is lengthen the draw bar and slide the kayak forward or move the axle back
over hang is not able to exceed to loading area forward of the axle/axle group so normally the axle is placed rearward of the center of the load area by 1/2 inch per foot
so 6 feet is about 3 inchs back of centre ( this is thumb of rule ) so that gives you 3'3" forward and 2'9" over hang of the trailer or more to the point 6" you can legally have the kayak off the back of the trailer - if you move the axle rearward 1 foot you can stick the load back 2 - and the extreme say you had a 6 x 4 with the axle right at the rear - you could have 6 foot of the rear of the trailer quite legal

but of cause the lengthened draw bar makes the most sense
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Joshua
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

cheaterparts wrote:
Joshua wrote:Rear overhang is permitted if the trailer is constructed for the purpose of transporting a glider or water-sport devices (Yachts, rowing shells, surf skis, canoes and kayaks)

check the wording 5 meter over hang is not measured from the rear of the trailer it's from the center of the axle/axle group

it's not ludicrous just practical
Yeah that's why my post says "5 meters from the axle" :evilgrin:

5m overhang for a kayak would be ludicrous, obviously it has application elsewhere, I thought this was Vyak?
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body