Quick LangLang Question

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
nichwan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Dag Midway

Quick LangLang Question

Post by nichwan »

Good afternoon,

Does anyone think a rudder is essential for lang lang?

Thank you! :)
Gummy shark - 121cm, Elephant Shark 60cm, leather jacket- 28cm, flathead - 50cm, pinkie - 36cm, Salmon - 48.5cm, silver trevally - 29cm, zebra fish - 28cm, Gurnard - 46cm, Tailor - 36CM, Bass - 38cm, Bream 43cm, garfish 32cm, ludrick 30cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: Quick LangLang Question

Post by Yako »

Depends what kayak your in.
What are you using, Dag Midway?
Shouldn’t need a rudder, they look quite narrow and should be easy to steer without a rudder
If you’re paddling you can “lean” and use your paddle to turn or steer.
If you’re in a decent narrow yak like a Stealth etc not really, the rudder is more for tracking.
Having a rudder on my longer glass kayak was good for tracking but it can also cause one to become lazy and use it to steer.
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Quick LangLang Question

Post by laneends »

Can be done I paddled often without rudder around there, and I know Cheater fished extensively around there for years with no rudder. Its strong wind that makes no rudder hard. Tide flow affects whole kayak evenly so does not affect steering too much. just have to do a bit of ferrying across tide to get where you are going ie point well upstream of where you want to go.

Danger of skinny kayaks if you are anchoring, and that really is an anchor and bait soak region, is tipping the boat when retrieving anchor...not a bad idea to be leashed to kayak in those situations