filleting stiff snook

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

filleting stiff snook

Post by thelastreject »

Hi all!

I finally caught something this morning and it was a very long snook. yah! However, it didn't really fit in my cooler and thus has sort of got a bend in it.
How do I get this bend out to fillet it?
greg--maka
Apprentice
kayak: i don't as yet

Re: filleting stiff snook

Post by greg--maka »

I caught a gummy last year,and did the same thing,a banana ,i was unable to straighten it,so i did not post a pix.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Fillet the inside of the bend first, then the outside should straighten up.

I find with whiting that are a bit bent in the esky they tend to straighten up once I've scaled and gutted them so maybe that will help with your pike.
thelastreject
Apprentice

Post by thelastreject »

Thanks! I ended up sort of pushing it down until it straightened out and it was fine.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

How was it on the plate?

Generally at least one of every species landed makes it onto my dinner plat but Snook perfume is their savior.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
thelastreject
Apprentice

Post by thelastreject »

It was fine on the plate. Some salt, pepper and garlic salt in the fry pan. We had them in tacos.
It's rather a bit plain on the tasting side by itself but with some spices and other flavours, it was good.
I wouldn't mind trying to smoke it in the weber.

I didn't notice a smell.
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

The difference between good fish and bad fish is usually the recipe.
Some people don't take to the stronger flavour of oily fish. I don't mind it at all. People tell me oily fish generally smokes well. I tried some smoked Aussie Salmon once. Once was enough. Some say Salmon is only good for fish cakes. I was unimpressed. I went back to frying small Salmon or cooking in foil with different extras. Some examples
- slices of lemon or lime
- sweet chilli sauce
- herbs
In particular I liked a couple of the Disaster Bay Chilli sauce range. If ever you get to weekend markets around Merimbula. The owners are nice people and will explain the different uses and let you taste the range from mild to very hot. The mild range is suitable for fish Lemon Stinger Marmalade goes really well. Also Chilli Wine Jelly. If that sounds like a plug, it is but I have no association with them. Its a great product.
Large Aussie Salmon I generally release. However, sometimes they inhale the lure too far and gill themselves, leaving no choice. I use those in curry and share them.

Maybe take the above recommendation for Disaster Bay Chillis a little tentatively. The owners had the place on the market for ages. It appears they sold last August. I cannot find a website. If you buy any, check the 'use-by' date first.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Steve_R wrote:The difference between good fish and bad fish is usually the recipe.
Some people don't take to the stronger flavour of oily fish. I don't mind it at all. People tell me oily fish generally smokes well. I tried some smoked Aussie Salmon once. Once was enough. Some say Salmon is only good for fish cakes. I was unimpressed. I went back to frying small Salmon or cooking in foil with different extras. Some examples
- slices of lemon or lime
- sweet chilli sauce
- herbs
steve salmon - silver trevs and even yakkas pickle really well to - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15004&hilit=salmon

make great topping pieces for dry bickies and well worth a try
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

cheaterparts wrote:
steve salmon - silver trevs and even yakkas pickle really well to - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15004&hilit=salmon

make great topping pieces for dry bickies and well worth a try
Thanks. A hangover from childhood is I like almost anything pickled. I'll give your pickling blend a try.

Boiling Salmon in brine then using flesh in other recipes is another way to use it. I tend to experiment rather than precisely follow recipes and forget exactly what I did with the Salmon after boiling (maybe tossed in with fried veges and favorite Asian sauce???). Anyway, taste test it cold. If it appeals, salad with vinegar, lemon, lime. Next step away would be stir fry. Otherwise, fish stew, curry, etc would mellow the taste further.