Any suggestions for Fishing from Cowes at Phillip Island?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
ChirnsideYakker
Apprentice
kayak: Yes

Any suggestions for Fishing from Cowes at Phillip Island?

Post by ChirnsideYakker »

G’day,
I’m pretty new to kayaking and have been out a couple of times in Port Phillip Bay for a paddle and fish. My partner and I have a Seabird Expedition and Discovery kayak, with one rod holder each. It’s certainly a challenge when we get a fish, but we manage to get them in. We’re heading to Cowes at Phillip Island for the Labour Day long weekend and are after any hints about were to launch and go for a fish safely.

Regards,
Robert
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Re: Any suggestions for Fishing from Cowes at Phillip Island

Post by Fish Grylls »

You can launch from the Cowes yacht club carpark or the Cowes Anderson Rd boat ramp. Lots of little paths down many of the beach roads if you want to roll your kayak from your accom. Just go for a walk and check them out first. If you troll a soft plastic or a lure close to shore you are a good chance for salmon and pike. Also plenty of squid on the usual colours of jigs. Also whiting if you are planning to anchor. Tide generally runs faster the further you go from shore.
Good luck, Hope you don't end up being a racing buoy for the jet skis.
ChirnsideYakker
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. Certainly got sick of Jet Skis at Rye during the Australia Day long weekend...
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

ChirnsideYakker wrote:G’day,
I’m pretty new to kayaking and have been out a couple of times in Port Phillip Bay for a paddle and fish. My partner and I have a Seabird Expedition and Discovery kayak, with one rod holder each. It’s certainly a challenge when we get a fish, but we manage to get them in. We’re heading to Cowes at Phillip Island for the Labour Day long weekend and are after any hints about were to launch and go for a fish safely.

Regards,
Robert
I see you are new to kayaking - keep in mind that the tide flows around cowes are quite different to PPB - I know it's back off the island but Coronet bay , Reef Island or Dickies Bay are well worth thinking about
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
ChirnsideYakker
Apprentice

Cheater,

thanks for the tips on the other places to try. We’ll have to give them a go some other time. What are the best rigs, for off Cowes? If current and tides are pretty fast, do we need a lot of lead on the bottom?
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

If you are fishing where you need lots of lead then you are fishing in a fast flow. Retrieving your anchor, especially if you are new to yakking, can be difficult if not dangerous in a fast current. Stay close in and you shouldn't need heaps of lead. If you are in the current you would need sometimes even 200 grams of lead (6-7oz.). Cheater's spots are well worth considering, a lot less scary.
ChirnsideYakker
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I think we’ll have a quick look a Cheatas suggestions on the way to Cowes and if we have time, we might launch the kayaks and then do a recce around Cowes to see if we’ll fish there or not. I don’t want to get in any situations that we’re not comfortable with.