What's so special about Grantville for gummies?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
trogdor
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

What's so special about Grantville for gummies?

Post by trogdor »

Hi All

I've had a lot of luck following the tips on this forum for fishing the Grantville flats on a high tide, particularly with prawn baits.

I've tried the same on the flats near the middle top end (Tooradin, Irish Jacks, etc..) with less success. Still catching gummies but Waaaaaay less.

What's so special about Grantville? In the middle north (i.e. tooaradin, Irish Jacks etc..) is a different approach needed? Or are there just less gummies here? If so what's so special about Grantville?

thanks!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: What's so special about Grantville for gummies?

Post by cheaterparts »

trogdor wrote:Hi All

I've had a lot of luck following the tips on this forum for fishing the Grantville flats on a high tide, particularly with prawn baits.

I've tried the same on the flats near the middle top end (Tooradin, Irish Jacks, etc..) with less success. Still catching gummies but Waaaaaay less.

What's so special about Grantville? In the middle north (i.e. tooaradin, Irish Jacks etc..) is a different approach needed? Or are there just less gummies here? If so what's so special about Grantville?

thanks!
it's called fishing different areas certain baits are better than others same for different times of the year - think about what the fish are looking for
Lang Lang and Grantville are mud flats full of crab and mantis shrimp - so what do you think a gummy is looking for - Prawn probably smells like mantis shrimp to a gummy

other areas outside the Bass river I've always done better on eel for gummies other places Salmon or silver trevs

another example Whiting on squid strips coronet bay the Whiting normally prefur mussel - pippy or prawn -- where as last trip on quail bank the whiting wouldn't touch prawn but took squid ---

so change your baits and try a bit of every thing to see what they wont on the day
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Top end is definately less reliable than lang lang and grantville for gummies. The top end is more complex as on a low it turns into a river system. which means there is less residual water there. Odds are crabs etc are easier to find further down, there is less/no weed compared to top end. There are far more banjos prowling the flats at high tide around the top end. The environment is just different.

Top end I find best technique for gummies is to fish tips of smaller channels on a falling or rising tide as the gummies have to leave the flats into the channels on the low. Whereas at G and LL they can be on flats anytime, as they just shrink rather than become fully exposed. At the G in particular theres no real channels to speak of so you can basically just drop the pick anywhere, so no great local knowledge or skill involved there, compared to top end.

I think also because fishing LL and G you are targeting gummies with mabe bycatch of reds so you tend to have 4 gummy rods out. Top end due to possible other species you fish a range of rods and rigs out so that cuts down on your number of gummy rods at any one time.

I love fishing the top end channels and flats, but it is also one of the more challenging areas. Typically got the place to yourself and it flattens to glass more readily than anywhere else, it can be very serene and peaceful
trogdor
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by trogdor »

Thank you Cheater and Laneends

I've recently gotten back into the boat fishing - have a boat at Yaringa as of start of the year - so depending on the tides if its over a high its either a long drive over to Grantville or chancing the arm trying to learn to improve the catch rate at the top end channels which is much closer a drive.

I've managed to pick up a keeper every time top end, but its a lot harder, and I don't bag out every time like Grantville (which is the most fun!).

So the quandry is do I go for a long drive across to Grantville - or fish "local"! Decisions decisions.

I'll try your tip on fishing the ends of the channels Laneends. Is there any part of the tide where I shouldn't be at the tip of a channel? Assume by tip you mean the very very end tip? I've caught a few at the intersection of tooradin, irish jack, and charing cross on the logic that there should be gummies cruising through the area.

I hear you on the serenity too - its so calm and peaceful top end.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

trogdor wrote:Thank you Cheater and Laneends

I've recently gotten back into the boat fishing - have a boat at Yaringa as of start of the year - so depending on the tides if its over a high its either a long drive over to Grantville or chancing the arm trying to learn to improve the catch rate at the top end channels which is much closer a drive.

I've managed to pick up a keeper every time top end, but its a lot harder, and I don't bag out every time like Grantville (which is the most fun!).

So the quandry is do I go for a long drive across to Grantville - or fish "local"! Decisions decisions.

I'll try your tip on fishing the ends of the channels Laneends. Is there any part of the tide where I shouldn't be at the tip of a channel? Assume by tip you mean the very very end tip? I've caught a few at the intersection of tooradin, irish jack, and charing cross on the logic that there should be gummies cruising through the area.

Jump onto Marc the Manager at Yaringa and ask him about his decision about letting yaks use Yaringa on a regular basis. I have been waiting weeks now, he is still in the decision making process.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

trogdor wrote:

I've had success at the tip of cockyannes and Irish jacks, which is easy access in a yak from Tooradin. Just need around 1m tide to scrape across the banks in a yak when the tide drops. Around marker 10 on Gentle annie is always worth a shot, it is actually a T junction with a smaller channel not shown on navionics. Its surprising just how deep that main section of tooradin channel actually is.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

:shhh: :lol:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)