transporting kayak in extreme heat 40+

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
wheels_yak
kayak: Seak Swift

transporting kayak in extreme heat 40+

Post by wheels_yak »

Hi all, possibly heading away next week and looking to take the hobie along, however early temp on the day is looking to be 41. Just wondering if this will affect the kayak in any way. TIA
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: transporting kayak in extreme heat 40+

Post by laneends »

Just dont strap it down too tight, or leave it sitting on a trolley
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Yes, heat affects kayak shape etc. This is unavoidable due to the property of the material used (plastic). I've transported mine a couple of times in high temperatures (39-41C) on trips to Cobram and surrounds. My tip is -

- Strap down the kayak just before you drive off, not the night before as you might usually do.

- Try if possible, plan your driving during the mornings. (Forecast temperatures for the days usually occurring around mid - late afternoon such as 2- 5pm)

- Check your straps regularly.

- Lastly, once you reach your destination unload your yak and place in a flat shaded spot so that it can regain it's shape.

By doing the above, I have found my kayak to bounce back to it's original shape quite well, even after several trips of 40C.

Hope that eases your mind..
wheels_yak

Post by wheels_yak »

Thanks great advice, it’s going to be a tricky trip. Heading to Merimbula via Canberra. The plan was to leave Friday afternoon after work around 2ish, but the might be extreme fire day and travel possibly avoided. So next option might be to possibly follow the cool change. Just hoping no big fires start up again in the extreme heat. We are regulars to Merimbula and unfortunately the Princes hwy is still shut.
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Not sure how important the trip is for you and whether you have travel insurance to cover costs you might have paid, but looking at the fire map, there will definitely be some risks associated with undertaking the journey your planning.

Just for your information.... We had accommodation booked at Metung from 28th Dec until the 2nd Jan. On the Saturday when we arrived, there were constant burnt leaves falling all around the ground and car, even though the fires were still some distance away in the mountains. On the Sunday 29th whilst visiting Lakes Entrance, all of us received txt messages to leave Lakes Entrance and surrounding areas due to the extreme weather event predicted for Monday the 30th. The owner of the place we were staying at was in bushfire plan mode. By 6pm on Monday 30th, the fires just north of Lakes Entrance were well ablaze. We spent Monday night monitoring the Vic emergency app and getting ready to pack just in case. A couple of spot fires around Swan Reach, Nicholson and Metung were quickly put out by the local firies.

The next morning after breakfast, we packed our belongings and left. On hindsight, it was the best thing to do as we would have been using up the resources that the locals needed. What point is having a holiday if you're going to be stressed out worrying about your surroundings?

Anyway, that's my experience from the recent bushfires. Will definitely be back to support the region, once the threats are over.

NB. When we returned to Melbourne, we managed to catch the fireworks at Yarra Park for my daughter's annual birhday fireworks and had a great time at one of our close family friend's new year ever party. Things managed to work themselves out in the end.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

wheels_yak wrote:Thanks great advice, it’s going to be a tricky trip. Heading to Merimbula via Canberra. The plan was to leave Friday afternoon after work around 2ish, but the might be extreme fire day and travel possibly avoided. So next option might be to possibly follow the cool change. Just hoping no big fires start up again in the extreme heat. We are regulars to Merimbula and unfortunately the Princes hwy is still shut.

This is the current main concern for the area:
https://www.edenmagnet.com.au/story/660 ... st/?cs=658
If weather follows predictions, the fires are South of the Snowy Mountain Highway so should not present a problem traveling to Merimbula via Brown Mountain. IMO those fires will not threaten Merimbula. If Merimbula does come under threat from that direction there is escape via Bega. All subject to the vagaries of weather prediction and more idiots with matches, of course.

Canberra has its own issue with fires. The Orroral Fire may push onto and along the Monaro Highway. I don't understand enough about where it is and what it is doing to make a guess. If it does close the highway, how you feel about extending your trip via Braidwood and Batemans Bay would be the question.

Once in the area, we have fires North, South and West(mostly controlled but creating smoke). About half the days smoke clears when wind comes from a friendly directions. It is becoming rarer to not have visibility of the ocean horizon during the day. Morning yesterday, the horizon was indistinct due to smoke but cleared to a nice day around midday with some East in the wind direction. Today started the same. Beaches have large patches of burnt leaves and leaves in the shore break, which is not really a problem. Beneath the leaves is clean. Other than that, there are tourists about but not in the numbers normal for this time of year. Get through you'll probably find it far more relaxing than usual but I would not recommend the visit for anyone with respiratory problems.

EDIT: should have added that National Parks remain closed. Even two days ago when weather was reasonably benign I found the entry to the road to Haycock closed.
Saturday doesn't look like being a friendly day for firies around here, either.
9:30AM Horizon no longer visible.
ALSO If you wanted to get some idea about the reason for smoke pollution, open http://satview.bom.gov.au/, add layers for coast and boundaries and animate. Unless there are clouds confusing the image, you'll see smoke due to fires from Batemans Bay to the border. The image will most likely appear worse Thurs-Sat when wind fans the flames again.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
wheels_yak

Post by wheels_yak »

Thanks for the great info. We will be monitoring the conditions very closely and head to Albury after weather cools down. Will make sure fire activity is clear after the heat and wind of previous days. If it isn’t might spend longer in Albury until it does as the weather next week is looking more favourable. I have also been monitoring air quality as well as watching Merimbula web cam so can see the haze coming and going. If the weather starts to get anywhere like the end of this week whilst we are there, we will leave well in advance. Technology has made this easy to check.
We love Merimbula and want to support, but also understand if it turns bad, don’t want to be a burden on authorities.
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

We went through all colours of sky yesterday and a lot of ash and black leaves fell but its not too bad now on the coast. There is fire burning all around. A hot day, strong wind with West in the direction will potentially cause problems. Monday may get smoky late in the evening. Other than that, it looks like we're OK for another week but remain surrounded, not isolated.

The morning I noticed the road to Cann River was open. From there, the highway is closed to the North but the Monaro was open.
EDIT: Highway now said to be opened all the way.